What kind of snake is this?

Pics
"Still alive or dead?"

Still very much alive. I felt like a redneck Steve Irwin out there in pajamas and mud boots. I took gloves, a broom, and a 33 gallon brute trashcan out there. I poked a few times with the broom and it was docile i suspect from the cool temperatures. It took ages to get it up on top of the wire so I could actually grab it by the tail and using the broom handle like a dumb snake hook get it down into the trashcan. I popped the lid on it and put it on the porch until I could get home from work. I drove it several miles down the road and let it go in the hopes that I'd accrue good snake karma and nothing else would come to visit.

"That is huge :eek: What kind of snake is it?"

Best I could tell it was just a common rat snake. When the roommate sent me the photo from the yard my first though was that as thick as it was it was going to be something else. I'm just glad it was easy going and wasn't nippy or aggressive during the capture or the release process.

I don't think it was a gopher snakes they have a different pattern
it might be a Sistrurus catenatus tergeminus (ground rattlesnake)
it's definatley not a rattlesnake. you can tell by the narrow head that it's not a member of the vipuridae(viper) family, which includes rattlesnakes and venomous vipers. the patterning and eye structure suggest that it's some type of rat snake, bull snake, or other ground Coliburid. either way, it's dead now. R.I.P little guy.

Hey all! I was on a bike ride today and passed this snake near my neighbors house. It looked sick
so I took some pictures then moved it to the side of the road. When I was coming back from the bike ride it was sadly, dead. :(
My neighbor thought it looked like a copperhead, but I don't think so. It doesn't look poisonous, does it???
Does anyone know the breed?
View attachment 1757104 View attachment 1757107 View attachment 1757119
Bullsnake. They are very beneficial to agriculture because they are rodent eating machines. Great snakes. Smart people let them go they’re own way. A five foot specimen was found to contain 36 mice. Looks like some fool killed this one. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom