What kind of spider is this, and should I release it or dispatch it?

Yep. I'm wasting a large percentage of my life being afraid of heights. Phobias or fears are not that easy to overcome. They can be extremely difficult.

The skink. I was playing around with a bluetailed skink quite a few years ago. An elderly lady told me to leave it alone, it was a scorpion and would sting me. Half the time know I don't even try to educate "country folk" because they won't listen. They know what they know, what they grew up believing and nothing is going to change it.

For those of you that are willing to listen and learn, don't take the above comments the wrong way.

Last edited:
It would be dead in .02 seconds flat. I have a friend who loves spiders, has snakes in her room [and still slept there when one got loose :eek: ], and hermit crabs, but doesn't like goats or chickens. Weird huh??

I sure hope that I was clear in my last post ...that I was NOT saying I think people are "wasting a large portion of their lives.. " ....and that I was simply quoting the "beneficial to us" part of that person's post.

I come across a lot of phobic people, on a daily basis, and it is not to be taken lightly. Part of the education, on my behalf, is to also teach children NOT to chase their friends or siblings, etc. around with a critter that they are afraid of. That doesn't help in the least! And it's dangerous to all invovled ..the 2 legger and the beast.

I don't believe in immersing someone in something they are "deathly afraid" of either ..like shoving someone in a pool or lake, "to teach 'em to swim" .....or filling their bed with bugs (any bug) "to get them over the fear". That's ridiculous ..and if anything, it increases the phobic response.

I could write several volumes on this subject matter, so I will stop now. I just wanted to be sure MY point was clear and I am not making fun of anyone or belittling anyone for their actual phobia.

And dacjohns ..my Daddy used to tell me the same thing about those "blue tailed" skinks. He didn't know I had a whole collection of actual scorpions (bark scorpions were easy to find around in our woods) in my room.

Picture018.jpg

Tank ..as a baby... sharing some nanner with Mah!
big_smile.png

He's a Blue tongue skink, originally from Australia and thereabout...

It's not dangerous. I can't think of the name it goes by here but I'm highly allergic to spiders and these guys only give me some swelling. I got bit by one bigger than that on my finger and through my hiking shoes. I reached down to see why my foot itched and came up with a spider bigger than my hand. That spider sure flew a long way. I had a swollen finger and toe for 2 days but otherwise was fine. I even have swelling with wolf spiders who are considered completely nonvenomous.

Looks like a brown recluse (SP?) but I'm not a spider expert sadly roll I know they are all over the US and I have bad allergic reactions to their bite

That's not from being allergic. That's a normal reaction to a brown recluse bite. They are quite poisonous. If you are highly allergic and get bit you have a good chance of dying. A brown recluse could kill me if I didn't get to a hospital quickly.​

Fisher? Wolf? Nursery-Web? Call' `em as ya sees `em (BIG).

Thread is played out, but this is for any arachnid snap collectors. This was on the turkey shed evening before last. They show up when the poppies start blooming and will play out pretty soon now. They get about a third again as big as the one in the shot (just brush them off one's chest, turn back over and go back to sleep). The hardware cloth is .50in. (for scale).
LotsaLeg061208.jpg

The `trance' Skink is purely gratuitous
lazyliz.jpg

I'm wierd and I'm glad that I am... that spider is beautiful!
tongue.png
The Five line is pretty cool lookin', too ..and I love the way skinks just flop down and relax when they get an oppurtunity. Even my big fella does it ..usually, in my lap or on my shoulders
smile.png

Thanks for sharing those pics!

eeewwwww..... now that's a ssssssppppppppidddderrrr.....
barnie.gif
Brush it off... definately...roll over and go back to sleep??? I couldn't!
barnie.gif

Great Pics!

Back
Top Bottom