1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT Kind of SPIDER is this???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by suzettex5, Jul 13, 2011.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Anyone know what kind of spider this is? I mean, besides obviously evil, sneaky, ugly and needing to DIE.

And is it poisonous??? We have these ugly beasties EVERYWHERE around here, and I am paranoid one is going to bite the kids or me.

[​IMG]

I am NOT spider friendly- I pretty much think they are all out to get us. And the ones people claim are harmless??? I think they are all just wishing they were big enough to eat us and are plotting how to get bigger and more deadly. That alone proves they are evil. [​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We call them Wolf Spiders around here. [​IMG]

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know.

When I see a spider outside, I scream for my Sweet Amelia (she is an EE), if she can hear me she come running and eats them! But I do not see many spiders these days outside. The birds have them fairly well under control.

What are your chickens doing? Slacking off on patrol? [​IMG]

4. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    What state are you in. That will help to narrow things down because, you can look up the spiders that are in your area on the internet.

5. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
  6. SueSteeves

SueSteeves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Yikes, just a picture of that thing made me want to scream! I am with you, all spiders must die (except Daddy Long Legs since they are so wimpy looking).

7. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    ;)Wolf sipider. Non posionous and nice to have around to control unwanted insects

8. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    We are in Nor. Cali, near Sacramento. I thought Wolf Spiders were one of CA's poisonous spiders??

Im getting out the spray!

And yes, my chookies ARE slacking!!! Those lazy girls and boys!! They have gotten sooo spoiled, they often turn up their beaks at freahly dug worms and simply wait for garden veggies or scratch!!

I am giving them a tiny break though since one of them somehow managed to kill a small RATTLESNAKE that was in my garden!! Me and the kids were in that garden the day before we found the snake all trampled and pecked, so I am willing to overlook this spider thing this time!

9. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Quote:Eek! Wait till you have one of those bad boys give you the stare down in your own kitchen!!! Late night I was getting a snack and looked down and there it was.. Went to step around him to get a cup to put over him and he FOLLOWED ME!!! [​IMG] I caught him and put him outside, he was at least two and a half inches from one side to the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by