What kind of standard roo should i get

chickenboy95

Songster
11 Years
Dec 12, 2008
se ohio
hello everybody.

i have like 30 standard hens and 6 bantam roosters and 15 bantam hens and whenever i want to hatch some of my standards eggs they aren't fertile. my banties are to small to do the job. ive been trying for 2 years not just to make sure they wherent molting or since its winter but there not doing it.

so my question is what kind of standard rooster would be good for light brahma hens, white plymouth rock hens, barred plymouth rock hens, mutt hens, BSL hen, and RIR hen.??? any help woulld be great.

Last edited:
I think you should get something along the polish line.
lau.gif

Seriously though, if you got a roo the same breed as one of the hens, you could produce purebred chickens and some interesting mixes.

I would have to say a Barred Rock roo. I have 6 hens and 1 roo and he is a gentle giant. He is so good to his girls and doesn't mind us bothering him at all.

Barred Rock
thumbsup.gif

ETA: I wouldn't put a standard roo in with bantam hens though. He could end up hurting them.

Last edited:
I have a few different breeds of hens but I love my RIR Rooster he is pretty gentle until you mess with one of the hens then he gets pretty protective and he is a very pretty bird. Plus with the flock you have you would probably get some sex-links from him which would make it easier to tell them apart when they are hatched.

ok i was thinking about the barred rocks but what do you all think about a BO roo i had one a long time ago but he died or old age. i liked him alot he was so gentle. i loved him very much.

here are my bantie roos that aren't doing squat.

chickens030.jpg

chickens017.jpg

chickens019.jpg

chickens011.jpg

and i also have a white silkie roo but hes camera shy!

but you would think that these guys ^^^^^^^ would be doing the job!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif
th.gif
somad.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Great play on words... Don't do squat!!

After having seen a pic of Melissa's (Pasfinofarms) Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, I can only say, "WOW!" that is the kind of roo for me. Probably one of the most beautiful chickens I've seen a photo of.

I used to have a Phoenix roo (killed by evil neighbor dogs) that was great. He was gentle with the hens and never attacked humans. He was big enough to breed the standard girls but not so big that he hurt the bantams.

How about a Light Brahma roo? Your bantam roos are taking care of your banty hens;) I love my BO roo and my banty roo but my Black ameraucana looking EE roo is a caveman w/his ladies so he's on serious watch for the freezer since I've hatched out some of his sons...the hens scream and run, whereas w/the other two roos the ladies are treated like queens and the kiddo's are cherished. I'm posting pics from last week later today...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom