What kind of treats for 4 week olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickenfamily, May 20, 2008.

1. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello!

We are first time chicken owners. We have 3 four week old chicks (RIR, BO, Black Star). What type of treats do they like at this stage? We've tried watermelon rinds, but not sure what else they may like at this stage? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. They do have sand box for scratching and getting a bit of grit.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Chives or scallions, dandelions, any whole grain bread, grated carrots, boiled eggs, worms,
    oatmeal, yogurt, and small amount of fine chopped veggies,

3. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Mine are almost three weeks old and the only treat I have dared to give them is worms. One of them found one outside the other day so my dd went and dug up some worms for them. Talk about chickens running everywhere. They loved the worms.

4. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Mine like grapes, cut in half or thirds. Don't give them too many though, it makes their poop runny.

5. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I just fed mine a little mac and cheese....chickie delite!

They also like oatmeal, yogurt, romaine, radicchio and bananas.

Just keep experimenting and remember that just like people they each have different likes and dislikes. [​IMG]

6. akanalynnn

akanalynnn Out Of The Brooder

mine like strawberries and spinach... [​IMG]

7. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Just turn them loose outside and watch them go. At three weeks they can forage for themselves as long as you have water for them. I mother mine for an hour or so each day it is nice out or until they get chilled and start to huddle up then I take them back indoors. I've done this since they were about a week old. Now at 5 weeks I can leave them out for most of the day without any problems. They act just like the adults only smaller.

8. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Mine have been going totally nuts over scrambled egg. The chaos in the brooder once they figure out what is in my hand is hysterical!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chicks favorite treats, in order from most favorite to least: millet, crickets, wild strawberries, hard-boiled egg, and cheerios. They'll be 6 weeks old tomorrow.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    At four weeks old my girls were eating boiled egg, whole wheat toast, grapes cut in half, yogurt, cooked oatmeal, slices of apple, bake plain yams, applesauce with their starter mixed in it, lettuce, rice (any kind) & scrambled eggs. of course, worms and a few unfortunate moths that went into the brooder.

At 9 weeks...they have added watermelon (not the rind...the whole piece), bites of my sandwiches when they can grab it, mac n cheese when they can steal it from the kid's plate & boiled corn on the cob to their treat list. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by