what kind of turkey is this??

Hawkeye95

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Oklahoma City area
My Coop
My Coop
What kind of turkey is this? He was abandoned and I picked him up out of the ditch several weeks back when he was just a little white fluff ball. I was told to wait until his feathers came in to see what kind of (breed) turkey he is. Also-- is it too early to tell if he is a she? I'm guessing he's about 14-16 weeks old now. He's still small, more like a teenager. Ideas?
96635_img_3105.jpg

It looks just like our Royal Palms. Beautiful turkeys. I can't imagine why on earth someone would abandon him/her. And they are small for turkeys, about 8 pounds lighter at maturity than the other heritage breeds. I agree, looks like a jenny because our toms all started getting their waddles in long before that. I can't see the nodule but because of it being small enough to be hidden by the wire, I'm thinking that indicates a jenny too. Beautiful little girl!

Quote:
Wow! Thank you all so much! Nice to know what (she) is! There isn't anything hardly on her nose- I see a little bump, but that's about it. I was shocked too when I saw her! I was out driving along the highway and saw a fluffy white ball walking around. I stopped because I thought it looked like a chick, and when I got out of the car, it came running up to me and I just picked it up. It was teeny tiny then- fluffy and downy. Figured it would get eaten if I left it there, so I brought it home and put him in a temporary pen under my deck. I'm now in the process of building a real chicken coop.
wink.png
Thanks to my turkey. This baby is super sweet and comes right up and sits on your foot so you can pick him up. He was all white, and the black started coming in a few weeks back. I notice more and more feathers come in with the black banding on the ends. But I was wondering if it was a hen too- since I figured something on his nose should be growing! Anyway, clueless how a baby turkey wound up in the ditch. No houses around, either, I looked hoping to return him.

Back
Top Bottom