What kind of waterer should I get?

katie197888

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Upperco, MD
We have now month old mallard ducklings and we are going through water like something else. We bought a poultry waterer at TSC but its not deep enough to dunk their bills in. Where can I find one appropriate for ducks.

Also, they go through about 2 gallons of water a day and its still empty. I fill it up morning and night and its always empty by the time I fill it again. There are 7 of them.

Are they outside? for my outside ducks I use a small barrel cut in half and screwed a board to bottom of it so it stands on its own and I place a rock in the middle of it I have 6 ducks and lots of chickens. for my inside little ducks I use a gallon chick waterer and this is placed on a patio block that is in a square ferret litter box that has 3 tall sides and pine shavings are put in the cracks of where there are spaces between patio block and litter box sides.

Oh yes! I LOVE them! I just bought one for their feeder. May be a good idea for a waterer, too. Does your ducks make it really muddy? Whenever I put a bowl of water out for mine it is muddy within minutes!

i hate commercial waterers personally.
i use bowls with lids.
use one appropriate for their size.
if they are biggger i use a big butter bowl.
when smaller i use a sour cream bowl or a whipped cream bowl.

draw a half circle on the lid from one edge to another and cut along the line.
make sure the hole isnt too big. if it is they can still play in the bowl.
you want them to easily stick their heads in it but not their bodies.
put a rock in the bottom so it cant be knowcked over.
put the lid on you can tape it down so they cant knock it off.

this will save you alot of water

Oh yes! I LOVE them! I just bought one for their feeder. May be a good idea for a waterer, too. Does your ducks make it really muddy? Whenever I put a bowl of water out for mine it is muddy within minutes!

Depends on where it's located, most of them no.. i have several sizes out since i have young and adults free ranging ... I just dump them once a day, in the morning and refill.

I bought a 1 gallon gravity waterer for my boys so they could get their bills in and wet. It's great, it does get a little backwash in it sometimes and its a little small for us now but Ill upgrade to a larger ( I think it comes in 3 gallon too.) once the summer comes because right now im still refilling twice a day.

I we t to lowes and got a concrete mixing tub... Fill it half way and change it every mornIng. They so have a smaller tub like was pictured above. They drink and swim in all of them. MIne gets a little murky from them bathing and drinking after eating. I had regular watered with them. It the rarely used it and I needed it with the chickens soo... If I can ever get a good seal on my homemade bucket waterer... They'll have that as one waterer.

Back
Top Bottom