What kind of wire for the run?

rubysmom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Oregon
We are finally almost finished with our coop and are working on the run. What wire covering is the best? I see some with chicken wire and some with rectangles and some with tiny squares? What does everyone prefer and what are the safety needs? In a suburban neighborhood would I need to put the wire 1 ft in the ground? We do have some raccoons in the hood.
Thanks
Will post pictures my husband's glorious coop soon...
wee.gif

I can't wait to see your coop!

The absolutely best wire to use is hardware cloth (the little squares) but it's also the most expensive and thus not everybody can afford to use it.

The second best (in my opinion) is welded or woven wire; the smaller the opening the better.

Chicken wire is just to keep chickens in. It will not keep most predators out - most especially not raccoons.

Raccoons can and will reach through small wire openings and literally pull a chicken through, killing it. So my advice is to use hardware cloth if you can. If not then go with the welded wire (I used 2x4 inch). THEN, use either hardware cloth or 1" chicken wire and bury it 12 - 18 inches deep (and angle the bottom outward about 6 - 8 inches) with it running up the welded wire at least two feet. The hardware cloth will absolutely keep out raccoon hands and most likely the chicken wire will.

Here's a link where I showed a picture of what we did. It might help you or give you ideas.

http://backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=45416&p=2

Good luck.

HARDWARE CLOTH, not chickenwire. Raccoons and dogs can rip through chickenwire. Please use hardware cloth (the strong stuff with small squares).

I used 100 ft 1"x2"x6' welded fence wire. I would recommend it to anyone even though the price is high I feel it has served me better than any other wire I have used. I will buy it over the chicken wire and the savings will be repaid in the fact that you don't have to replace your flocks.

Beware though I used this wire I still had possums because they can climb trees and get in and they can dig under. But I have not lost any birds to a coon, ever. So... take the cost into consideration. I don't regret the cost.

Your local Farmers CO-OP will have different lengths. I paid 90$ plus tax for my roll (8 years ago) but I don't regret it one bit.

Arklady

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom