what kind of wire is best for a chicken run?

We did hardware cloth from the ground up, poultry wire overlapping on the hardware cloth and across the top, and chain link fence sunk 1' in the ground. This set up works great for us!
smile.png

note: in this pic we had not finished putting the poultry wire up..... (which is why the end looks unfinished) just trying to show how we overlapped - see trench for chainlink...
15513_dscn0890.jpg

15513_dscn0895.jpg

smokinjay.
Please use full 2x4s. We made the two by two and they have sagged and twisted terrible. I have had my run for two years and am thinking about putting the 2x4's in to reinforce the top. The chicken wire flexes and with wt on top really goes down, and stays down. I have replaced part of the top already with the hardware cloth. If you do not want to use hardware cloth use the welded 2x4 wire. At least it keeps out the big critters and the flying hawks etc. It will not keep out a weasel or rat though. Neither will the chicken wire. Gloria Jean
hi Gloria Jean! Will 2" x 2" wire keep out a weasel? thank you!

No, any opening of an inch will allow weasels access. This is the very reason I question people throwing money at hardware cloth for runs. It's an exercise of futility usually. A coop with hardware cloth on openings is far easier to manage with 100% assurity. Other than weasels 2x2 and 2x4 welded wire stops all predators. I use it as dig proof apron too. Closing birds up in coop at night and every night. Runs are a deterrent but hard to 100% predator proof.

No, any opening of an inch will allow weasels access. This is the very reason I question people throwing money at hardware cloth for runs. It's an exercise of futility usually. A coop with hardware cloth on openings is far easier to manage with 100% assurity. Other than weasels 2x2 and 2x4 welded wire stops all predators. I use it as dig proof apron too. Closing birds up in coop at night and every night. Runs are a deterrent but hard to 100% predator proof.
so if you have to go out of town someone has to come by in the morning to let them out and in the evening to close them up?

Back
Top Bottom