What kind of wood?

I used 1/2" ply...or, 15/32" or something like that. Tried 3/8" (11/32", maybe?) and it was way too weak...like, popping and cracking under my feet. You wouldn't think there would be such a big difference in that extra 1/8", but there really is.

At some point I'm going to get a big sheet of scrap vinyl and throw it down in there (no glue), but I'm not in any big hurry for that.

When I first started researching for a new coop I thought about using earth floors, but not sure how well that would work. My coop is going to be 12x12 with 3 ft of it being closed off from the chickens. I would use the 3(wide) x 12(long) for storing all my feed and whatnot. Not sure how that would work with a earth floor. If anyone has pictures that would be great. I would love to see them! It would be the cheapest and easiest(I think) way to go.

DH and I were in Lowes the other day and the thick plywood like we would need for the floor was $28 a sheet. That takes out a HUGE chunk of my spending money. But then again the OSB that was really thick was around $16-$18 a sheet. I was just curious how well it would work. And what everyone else seemed to use. We are going to try and have the coop up off the ground about 9 or 10 inches or so. I dont know if that would be tall enough.

If you have ever been in a mobile home where they used OSB you wouldn't even be asking this question. If it gets wet it swells and turns to dust. Do yourself a favor and go with the 1/2" plywood. You don't need the exterior grade, interior grade is fine. I would cover in sheet vinyl not in tiles. This will last you years. The other one will last maybe 2 or 3 years. If you calculate the aggravation and the replacement costs, the plywood is the best choice.

When I first started researching for a new coop I thought about using earth floors, but not sure how well that would work. My coop is going to be 12x12 with 3 ft of it being closed off from the chickens. I would use the 3(wide) x 12(long) for storing all my feed and whatnot. Not sure how that would work with a earth floor

My barns and coops all have dirt floors. Put down some pine shavings or straw and they stay dry and are easy to clean out,

For your feed area, you could put down a layer of gravel and it would help with dust.

As long as water drains away from the buildings, dirt floors are the way to go​

Back
Top Bottom