What kind of worms are these?

You will need to use this stuff for tape worms... http://www.horse.com/item/zimecterin-gold-praziquantel-paste-wormer-775/SLT151412/

I believe the dosage is .05 ml per pound of chicken. (about a pea sized dolup for the average sized chicken) (Kathy knows more about measuring than I do. :) @casportpony

Make sure to be meticulous in cleaning around the coop and run, if the tapes are segmenting, there are hundreds of eggs in these segments waiting to be eaten by the chickens. So be as clean as possible for a while to get rid of these things. Tapes are not easy to kill off.

Good luck and keep us posted!
So I've done some research, horse paste comparisons, and a little math (you know me
big_smile.png
). The most commonly recommended praziquantel does seems to be 10 mg/kg, so the dose for the two horse paste wormers are:

Equimax has twice as much praziquantel as Zimectrin Gold, so you only need to use half as much.

Equimax - ~0.03 ml per pound
Zimectrin Gold - ~0.06 ml per pound, though 0.05 ml is probably also effective.
wink.png

Doses for a five pound hen
  • Equimax - 0.16 ml
  • Zimectrin Gold - 0.3 ml (about a pea size dollop)

Repeat in 10-14 days I think.

-Kathy

Thank you both very much, I just placed an order for the zimecterin gold. Would 0.06ml be enough for my 2 hens? (I'm not sure which one has the worms) Do I just put it in their water? Or into their beaks directly? Also, should 1 treatment do the trick?
Thanks again.

Thank you both very much, I just placed an order for the zimecterin gold. Would 0.06ml be enough for my 2 hens? (I'm not sure which one has the worms) Do I just put it in their water? Or into their beaks directly? Also, should 1 treatment do the trick?
Thanks again.
Each hen needs 0.06 ml per pound, so if they way 5 pounds each, each hen will get 0.3 ml orally, which is blob about the size of a pea.
Read this - http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

Below is a picture that should help you visualize how much to give.
From left to right:
Small = 0.1 ml
Medium = 0.25 ml
Large = 0.5 ml

-Kathy

@StanZ , keep an eye open for more worms, and if you see any, would be great if you could take some pictures for us!
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Sure thing, I havent seen anymore as of yet. But I'm going to search around my yard, and keep an eye out for their droppings

Back
Top Bottom