What Kind of Worms Are These?

I have looked at the sketches and pictures of types of worms but cannot find any that I feel confident are the ones my girls have. Can anyone ID these for me, please?
For informational purposes.. only large round worm species and tapeworms will ever be seen by the naked eye in droppings.

All others will stay in the intestines and only the microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass, never to be seen by the naked eye.

Just for discussion purposes.. the only tapeworms I've seen from one of my dogs looked like pieces of rice, not having those suction cups.. maybe I just didn't see them up close enough.. and I'm not dismissing other poster's assessment.. just still learning!

For informational purposes.. only large round worm species and tapeworms will ever be seen by the naked eye in droppings.

All others will stay in the intestines and only the microscopic oocysts (eggs) will pass, never to be seen by the naked eye.

Just for discussion purposes.. the only tapeworms I've seen from one of my dogs looked like pieces of rice, not having those suction cups.. maybe I just didn't see them up close enough.. and I'm not dismissing other poster's assessment.. just still learning!
I wish I could post a video so you could see the movement. What I’m calling suction cups may just be a mouth. It makes a big “O”. Thank you for the info on the visible worms- very helpful!

I wish I could post a video so you could see the movement. What I’m calling suction cups may just be a mouth. It makes a big “O”. Thank you for the info on the visible worms- very helpful!
They are tapeworm segments that move around in the feces. They work their way onto and into the soil where they release hundreds of eggs to be eaten by insects; ants, flies, earthworms, snails, grasshoppers etc...Then your birds eat the infected insect, then your bird(s) get infected. It's called the "indirect lifecycle" of tapeworms.

They are tapeworm segments that move around in the feces. They work their way onto and into the soil where they release hundreds of eggs to be eaten by insects; ants, flies, earthworms, snails, grasshoppers etc...Then your birds eat the infected insect, then your bird(s) get infected. It's called the "indirect lifecycle" of tapeworms.
Lovely 🤦‍♀️ So essentially it is nearly impossible to eradicate them 😩. Thank you all for your help! I have some equimax and am prepared to make my girls fast for 24 hours. Poor things!

Lovely 🤦‍♀️ So essentially it is nearly impossible to eradicate them 😩. Thank you all for your help! I have some equimax and am prepared to make my girls fast for 24 hours. Poor things!
Actually tapeworms are easier to control than the many types of roundworms that chickens can get. At least you "see" segments with tapeworms, a sign your birds have them and easily treated. You cant see roundworm eggs that are picked up and swallowed by your birds and are directly infected in that manner. It's called the Direct lifecycle of roundworms.
Besides, chickens are more likely to be infected by roundworms than tapeworms.

Actually tapeworms are easier to control than the many types of roundworms that chickens can get. At least you "see" segments with tapeworms, a sign your birds have them and easily treated. You cant see roundworm eggs that are picked up and swallowed by your birds and are directly infected in that manner. It's called the Direct lifecycle of roundworms.
Besides, chickens are more likely to be infected by roundworms than tapeworms.
Thank you. Information is power!

Back
Top Bottom