what kind of yogurt?

gottaluvchickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Does it matter what kind of yogurt I give my chicks? Plain, flavored, lowfat? So many choices. If it doesnt matter, what kind does everyones chickens prefer?

Thanks in advance!
Shana

I give mine plain they love it..No sugar!!
frow.gif

I use the low fat, plain yogurt. The flavored yogurts are typically full of sugar and/or artificial sweeteners and nobody needs lots of fat; not humans, not chickens.

Some chickens are reluctant to try new foods until they see other chickens eat it first. Even then it might take them some time to learn to like it. Once I got a big carton of cottage cheese in pint containers that had to be used up in a hurry. The first few days I'd open the containers for them to eat out of, and there would be a lot left over at the end of the day. But after a few days they would eat every bit of what was offered.

My birds will eat yogurt right out of the carton, or poured into a pan for them. But they make a big mess of it that way, shaking their heads and spraying yogurt droplets everywhere. Today I emptied a container of yogurt into a pan and mixed some layer pellets into it, and stirred it all together. You could even add a little milk to the mixture, or applesauce, to get the texture you want. My chickens ate every bit, and didn't make as big of a mess as with straight yogurt.

I'm having the same problem with yogurt...I tried the Dannon low fat vanilla yogurt, and one chick pecked at it while the others just walked over my hand, tracking it everywhere...I mixed some starter feed into it. Nada. They just look at it like its a big pile of droppings!
hmm.png

I'm going to try meal-worms, as soon as I can get some parakeet grit to go with it.

As for oatmeal...I have heard of some people mixing a bit of it into scratch, then throwing it out into the run to preoccupy them, but thats all I know about it as a treat.

Last edited:
We give ours plain yogurt sometimes but I think they like the fruity flavored ones better! I just don't give them as much cuz of the sugar....my birds are already fat:)

Back
Top Bottom