what kind of yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gottaluvchickens, Jun 16, 2009.

1. gottaluvchickens

gottaluvchickens In the Brooder

May 27, 2009
    Does it matter what kind of yogurt I give my chicks? Plain, flavored, lowfat? So many choices. If it doesnt matter, what kind does everyones chickens prefer?

Thanks in advance!
    Shana

2. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Songster

Jan 22, 2009
    plain - whatever you have.. i'd go with full fat and make sure it has live cultures...thats my $0.02

3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Songster

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    I give mine plain they love it..No sugar!! [​IMG]

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Songster

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I usually get mine the Dannon or Yoplait low fat low sugar (or something like that) strawberry flavored--they love grabbing the strawberries out of it.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use the low fat, plain yogurt. The flavored yogurts are typically full of sugar and/or artificial sweeteners and nobody needs lots of fat; not humans, not chickens.

6. sunket77

sunket77 Songster

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    how do you give it to your chickens? mine just look at it like its an alien!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Some chickens are reluctant to try new foods until they see other chickens eat it first. Even then it might take them some time to learn to like it. Once I got a big carton of cottage cheese in pint containers that had to be used up in a hurry. The first few days I'd open the containers for them to eat out of, and there would be a lot left over at the end of the day. But after a few days they would eat every bit of what was offered.

My birds will eat yogurt right out of the carton, or poured into a pan for them. But they make a big mess of it that way, shaking their heads and spraying yogurt droplets everywhere. Today I emptied a container of yogurt into a pan and mixed some layer pellets into it, and stirred it all together. You could even add a little milk to the mixture, or applesauce, to get the texture you want. My chickens ate every bit, and didn't make as big of a mess as with straight yogurt.

8. sunket77

sunket77 Songster

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    what about oatmeal? do you think that would work?

9. Featherwisp

Featherwisp Songster

May 18, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm having the same problem with yogurt...I tried the Dannon low fat vanilla yogurt, and one chick pecked at it while the others just walked over my hand, tracking it everywhere...I mixed some starter feed into it. Nada. They just look at it like its a big pile of droppings! [​IMG]
    I'm going to try meal-worms, as soon as I can get some parakeet grit to go with it.

As for oatmeal...I have heard of some people mixing a bit of it into scratch, then throwing it out into the run to preoccupy them, but thats all I know about it as a treat.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  10. KittyKelly

KittyKelly Songster

May 6, 2009
    Central KY
    We give ours plain yogurt sometimes but I think they like the fruity flavored ones better! I just don't give them as much cuz of the sugar....my birds are already fat:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: