What kind(s) of chicken is she?

ummmm she really looks like a he :/ part silkie for sure (silkie mix x silkie or another silkie mix)...you sure its the one laying the eggs? the comb and wattles are sooooo big for a hen. do you have any pics close up with out s/he being drenched? the stance and everything says rooster about her, hackles also look pointed and looks like saddles and if she really is a she than shes a very manly girl

ummmm she really looks like a he :/ part silkie for sure (silkie mix x silkie or another silkie mix)...you sure its the one laying the eggs? the comb and wattles are sooooo big for a hen. do you have any pics close up with out s/he being drenched? the stance and everything says rooster about her, hackles also look pointed and looks like saddles and if she really is a she than shes a very manly girl

We have went through a phase where we thought she was a he too. She does get that rooster stance when she's not on the roost, and she acts like a rooster. However, we have seen her in the nesting box and there has an egg there shortly after. Also, none of the eggs have ever been fertilized. Plus her vent is stretched and huge.

She/he has no spurs either. I can take better pictures for sure. What angles would be preferred? She has had me stumped for awhile. I would really like to know from the more knowledgable than me folks more about this chicken.

Not to question your judgement, but I am very sure that he is a Silkie Rooster. Roosters will get in the nest box in order to entice the hens. He may just have got in a nest with an egg in it from your Leghorn hens. If it were a hen, it should not lay a white egg (tan or off white). Body type, feather type. stance, comb and wattles all scream rooster.

Im actually wondering if you have a rooster as well. Perhaps you should separate him/her and see if they still lay an egg?

Well, again I know nothing about Silkies, so I am entertaining all ideas. But here are more pictures (bigger at link). Also we have two different shades of eggs (wife pointed this out). Picture of the different colored eggs are included. And my wife says she saw her lay an egg in a trashcan with old straw in it.

4 Middle eggs are more tan or creme (easier to see in bigger picture and in real life)

... that is DEFINTELY a rooster and HE is a silkie... if you still think its girl try seperating it from the rest and wait for an egg ... I assure you there will not be one...

Back
Top Bottom