what looks like running backwards with head tucked into chest

Terry Scott

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
We have Bielefelder chicks, about 6 weeks old. One of them started tucking her head into her chest as if to get ant ant off of her and at the same time almost running backwards in a desperate attempt to 'get it' off but can't seem to get it. Sometimes she will stay tucked up bit then get up, pick at her feathers and eventually repeat the above motion. I have held her and kinda scratched thru her chest looking for anything but find nothing. She does eat and drink sporadically.
Any suggestions for this chicks actions ?

This sounds like a neurological issue, and it can be related to wry neck, a deficiency of vitamin E or B1 thiamine. It can also be from a head injury. I would start treating with human vitamin E 400 IU given orally. You can puncture the capsule and sqirt it in the beak or food. Also some thiamine can be given, and that is found in vitamin B complex which contains all B vitamins 1/4 tablet daily. Crush it in a small amount of water or food, Scrambled egg contains selenium, and giving just a little bit daily can supply plenty to help with vitamin E uptake. Make aure the chick gets enough food and water. Chicken feed can be moistened with water and fed several time a day from a bowl.

This sounds like a neurological issue, and it can be related to wry neck, a deficiency of vitamin E or B1 thiamine. It can also be from a head injury. I would start treating with human vitamin E 400 IU given orally. You can puncture the capsule and sqirt it in the beak or food. Also some thiamine can be given, and that is found in vitamin B complex which contains all B vitamins 1/4 tablet daily. Crush it in a small amount of water or food, Scrambled egg contains selenium, and giving just a little bit daily can supply plenty to help with vitamin E uptake. Make aure the chick gets enough food and water. Chicken feed can be moistened with water and fed several time a day from a bowl.
Thank you very much for the prompt response and advise. Will start immediately. Have the vitamin E and B complex. Thanks again, Terry

Update: Following the separation from the other four chicks, administering Vitamins E and B-12 complex in egg, fish, and meat the chick seems to be doing quite well. She has rejoined the flock herself and we have not seen a 'spell' in the last 12 hours. Will continue to monitor her indoors since they are probably not ready to go out to their new pen at only 6 weeks old.
Will continue to update any changes.
I am thinking about adding scraps of egg and meat for all of them to eat. Is that a good idea at this point in their age ?

Back
Top Bottom