What low temps can 4wk olds tolerate?

hayatiggs

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 27, 2012
Alabama
My chicks are going to be 4 weeks old tomorrow. I've had them for a week and a half, and in that time I've had them in a brooder at night and in the run during the day, as our avg daily temps have been 75+. At what average low can they start staying outside all of the time? Low tonight is 59. But the way our run/coop is designed, they have to fly up to the enclosed coop and I'm not sure if they can do that yet. (Husband is building them a walk-up but he won't be home from work until the weekend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you post some photos so that we can see how feathered they are - or tell us what parts of their bodies are currently feather or down? What breed(s) are they? At the very least they will need to be able to access the coop prior to being left out overnight - regardless of age and feathering.

They are Wyandottes, and are feathered except for their rear end and necks. May be hard to tell in this picture. I'm protective of my babies, so I will make sure they come in to the brooder until the walk gets built :)

fd66ca84819c258f626c19c6daab8488.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they can get into the coop I think they will be OK.
I have Red Rangers in the unheated garage just a week old and here in Wisconsin they are voluntary spending time not under the panel heater. Seen them lay down and just hang out in the brooder away from heater at 45f.

Back
Top Bottom