1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What LUCK! :) Or...not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, Apr 10, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well, I am a VERY happy camper 'bout now! [​IMG] I'm actually BEAMING! Can you tell?!? [​IMG]

Anywho, our chickies are now 5 weeks old, and we can tell the obvious signs of boys vs. girls. I was worried originally that we would have more roos than we'd know what to do with, as is often the case in ordering Straight Run chicks.

Well, by our final headcount tonight, here's what we have from the 27 chicks:

SEVEN possitive roos. (Three have been choosen as 'our roos' and will be staying here. One has an obvious defect, so he will find a new home, or end up in the pot. [​IMG] )
    SIXTEEN possitive pullets. (We're keeping them all.)
    FOUR "still unsure's" (We THINK one is a pullet, and hope she is. IF she is, we're keeping her. <<fingers crossed>>)

Even if the 4 unsure's were all roos, that would be only 11 roos to 16 pullets! I am SO happy! Has anyone else ever had that happen from a hatchery order? The lady DID ask me what their 'purpose' was to be, and I DID tell her they were for a 4-H laying flock project. You don't think she threw in some extra sexed pullets and just didn't charge me for them, do you? Or is such a low ratio of roos to pullets ever this common?

2. Dandy Acres

Dandy Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Gotta love that! Has anybody else identified themselves?

3. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    those are great odds in your favor....I hope I fair as well

4. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    Woo Hoo!! Great news and amazing odds -- you should buy a lottery ticket!! So my little ones are 5 weeks next week -- do tell your sure-signs for sexing them! I need all them help I can get -- I flip-flop from pullet to cockerel every other day! Ugh!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I ordered 6 straight run silver penciled Wyandottes back in Feb. Ended up losing one to shipping problems. The remaining 5, all pullets. On the same thread though I ordered 6 SR BLR Wyandottes and got 3 cockerels, 2 pullets, and one undetermined yet.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Where did you get the chicks? Sounds like at this hatchery straight run means straight run.

How many packing peanuts did you get? Most hatcheries use extra roos as packing peanuts. I don't have a problem with that. It's better than euthanasia, but it distorts the odds.

I'm not running the odds on 27 chicks, but here are the odds on 6 straight run chicks if they are truly straight run.

6 male 0 female - 1 in 64 or 1.6%
    5 male 1 female - 6 in 64 or 9.4%
    4 male 2 female - 15 in 64 or 23.4%
    3 male 3 female - 20 in 64 or 31.3%
    2 male 4 female - 15 in 64 or 23.4%
    1 male 5 female - 6 in 64 or 9.4%
    0 male 6 female - 1 in 64 or 1.6%

7. crackertrail

crackertrail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hardee County
    I am impressed with you figuring it out so soon. Mine are 2 months and a mixed batch. I am now looking for little spur bumps on the ones I can't tell.

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Quote:some hens can get bumbs or spurs also usally you can tell by the comb or if the crow.Also saddle feathers ect ect....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  9. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I ordered mine from MM. Almost all Wyandottes:

Ordered 5 Silver Laced pullets - received 7 pullets, guess they threw in 2 extras
    Ordered 5 Columbian pullets - one died - other 4 pullets
    Ordered 5 Gold Laced pullets - got all 5 pullets
    Ordered 6 Blue Laced Red SR - got 3 pullets, 3 cockerels
    Ordered 6 Silver Penciled SR - one died 5 others all pullets

my last chick was a "free rare" which turned out to be a SSH cockerel.

So I ordered 27 Wyandottes and ended up 27 despite 2 losses. 24 of them are pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by