What made this paw print?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by steffpeck, Dec 7, 2010.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    We found several of these prints in our backyard today. Can you tell me what animal was running around my backyard? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, Steff! Long time, no see! Looks like some type of canine to me, but not sure if it's just a dog or maybe coyote.

3. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Canine of some sort.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Looks canine to me, dog. It helps to put a tape measure in with the picture to gauge size. A fox prints are small enough to look the size of a domestic cat, but you can see the nails/claws with a canine.

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    It's probably 2 1/2 inches long. We do have coyotes and foxes around here, so it wouldn't suprise me if it was one of those. Thanks everyone!

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Dog track. A fox would be smaller and a bit more pointed. Possible coyote, but most likely dog.

7. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

Might be a coyote, the splaying of the track could be due to the depth of the snow. I think a dog track would of had the two middle pads spread a little more apart. But, then I'm not much of a tracker [​IMG]

Jim

8. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    A canine for sure - you can see the claws in the prints (a feline would have them retracted, thus no claws in the print). Based on them being 2 1/2 inches long, I would guess either coyote or domesticated dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by