Coop Massacre

Chicken Man Can

Chirping
Nov 27, 2022
IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

Found them like this, this morning šŸ˜„. Four dead, one survived (not pictured). As can seen, it ripped open the welded wire which was secured via poultry net staples. The staples were hammered into sheeting instead of 2 by 4 (unlike the rest of the netting), and this was my tragic mistake. It seemed secure enough when I made it, but this unknown animal was strong. I should've had 2 by 4s behind the sheet and then the staples would've had something strong enough to go into. Wanted to share this tragedy so nobody seeing this makes the same mistake. Any insights into the animal that it may have been are greatly appreciated (it left no paw prints).

So so sorry for your losses. :hugs
I'm going to guess a raccoon did that, not sure though.
The best thing to use would be hardware cloth instead of netting or chicken wire. Hardware cloth is strong and keeps most things out.

So so sorry for your losses. :hugs
I'm going to guess a raccoon did that, not sure though.
The best thing to use would be hardware cloth instead of netting or chicken wire. Hardware cloth is strong and keeps most things out.

This is welded wire, its very strong and did not actually break. I had to cut it with long shears for leverage to shape it. What happened was, it ripped out the staples securing the wire to one side.

This is welded wire, its very strong and did not actually break. I had to cut it with long shears for leverage to shape it. What happened was, it ripped out the staples securing the wire to one side.
Ah, I didn't see the welded wire behind the netting. To fix that, I would use screws with washers, that should do it.

Ah, I didn't see the welded wire behind the netting. To fix that, I would use screws with washers, that should do it.

Yeah that plastic construction fence in green is only used to cover the 2 by 2 inch holes that are in the welded wire. I don't need screws, I have hardware staples. My big mistake was securing some of the staples to sheet instead of 2 by 4. The staples are not secure if not hammered into of 2 by 4, and an animal can rip them out as I have learned the hard way.

Most likely it was a raccoon. They're freakishly strong and rather clever.

I like heavier gauge hardware cloth, which I first staple to the frame and then nail smaller lumber on top of: so if I've got a 2x4 frame I'll nail 1x4's over the stapled hardware cloth.

Most likely it was a raccoon. They're freakishly strong and rather clever.

I like heavier gauge hardware cloth, which I first staple to the frame and then nail smaller lumber on top of: so if I've got a 2x4 frame I'll nail 1x4's over the stapled hardware cloth.

Ain't seen them round here, though that is a reasonable guess. There isn't framing where this part of the fencing was ripped off. What I'm going to do is drill holes in the sheet that is under the wire, then loop something like rope or steel cable through it. A couple place on either side should do it, then nothing can pull it open. The rest of the coop is well secured, this was the only weak area, though I only know it to be weak in hindsight.

Sorry for your loss and trouble
Looking at your setup I wonder if that has a wire bottom?
If not, anything that Digs is inside within a short time.
Also not knowing where you are located, a small weasel can fit through openings a mouse fits through (chicken wire size).
Whatever did this will show up again.
Put up a game camera and you will likely get good photographs of your culprit.
Good luck!

Sorry for your loss and trouble
Looking at your setup I wonder if that has a wire bottom?
If not, anything that Digs is inside within a short time.
Also not knowing where you are located, a small weasel can fit through openings a mouse fits through (chicken wire size).
Whatever did this will show up again.
Put up a game camera and you will likely get good photographs of your culprit.
Good luck!

No wire bottom, we haven't had any diggers. In this case the wire fencing was pulled straight off due to insufficient securing to the framing which I have now fixed. If whatever did this came back it wasn't able to get in again. May set up a camera and / or trap.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom