What made you decide to get chickens?

chickenkate

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
East coast
This seems like one of those questions that produces a bunch of interesting answers!
lol.png

I don't know.
roll.png

It was weird, like accepting a dare. Only no one dared me. I just saw a photo in a magazine & said "That looks cool" & no one in my family talked me out of it. Then I hooked up with BYC and got all kinds of reasons to be an obsessive chicken weirdo.
ep.gif

Beware!

What could be better,"a pet that gives you breakfast".Second nature to me as well but some convincing with my husband.Love the fresh eggs and knowing where our meat comes from.No question about it!

We live on ten acres, and share it with my inlaws, i have always been interested in self sufficiency, lately i began to really consider just how to begin, i have other birds, and it didn't seem a big step- what i didn't realize is how addicting these little charmers can be!LOL!

I had a co worker who was fighting an aggresive breast cancer, She wanted organic eggs and meat to eat , so she got chickens. She fell in love with the chickens and couldn't eat them. After she beat the cancer, her husband wanted them gone. She gave them to me because she knew I wouldn't eat them. they were my first three. Sagwa, Shegwa, and Dongwa-from the PBS cartoon.

Imp- Only on day #1 were my thoughts OMG What have you done now! That was 6 years ago.

Prior to my senior year in high school my family moved to a farm. I ordered some white egg layers from Sears and Robuck. I then traded some of my roosters for some barnyard mallards. After I got married, mom and dad got the birds. I soon had sons of my own. When they were eight they joined 4-H. They decided to show chickens, (cattle were just too big for them). One day, at the Missouri State Fair, someone brought some d'Anvers to sell. Both boys wanted them. Since they each showed different breeds they asked me to buy and show them. That was 10, 11 years ago. I now show more than they do and my flock, after hatching 14 more this weekend, total close to 200 birds.

I have always wanted chickens since I was a teenager and had friends that had them. Mom wouldn't let me have them as a teen.

35 yrs later, I finally made up my mind that I'm going to make my dream a reality. A year ago I moved to 4 acres and plan to convert my unused 12' X 12' Noble horse stall with event front into a chicken coup.

My 10 chicks are now 3 wks old. I thank this site for making it so easy.

I always wanted to live on a farm and thought chickens were soooo pretty!!! I said when I was grown I would have some of my own--also I was enthralled with the idea that a chicken could lay a blue or green egg(I had never seen one)!! So I bought some chicks--that are gorgeous and some that lay green eggs!! People at work tell me I'm crazy and that chickens are ugly but I know you guys understand
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom