What made you happy today?

Blow it out and save the shell.
I have learned (through doing it wrong) that the best way to break a hole in the shell is by tapping it repeatedly with something sharp like the tip of a nail, and NOT by drilling with a screw. It takes a long time, but tapping is how nature does it, how the chick gets out. Twisting with a screw rips a bigger hole in the shell than you want.

I have learned (through doing it wrong) that the best way to break a hole in the shell is by tapping it repeatedly with something sharp like the tip of a nail, and NOT by drilling with a screw. It takes a long time, but tapping is how nature does it, how the chick gets out. Twisting with a screw rips a bigger hole in the shell than you want.
I use a small drill bit and hand turn it. Works better and more accurately than by tapping. Using a screw does not work well because the screw is trying to expand the size of the hole as it enters.

I use a small drill bit and hand turn it. Works better and more accurately than by tapping. Using a screw does not work well because the screw is trying to expand the size of the hole as it enters.
I've had good results tapping a straight pin. The hole starts very small but can be enlarged pretty easily.

Back
Top Bottom