1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What makes a difference between just a protective structure and a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    You know some people on here has redneck coops, reduce, reuse, recycle type. (My personal favorite [​IMG] )

Then there are the okay, not top notch, but decent materials

Then theres the voila BAM coops. You know the ones. If the only way to describe it is "When can I move in"

Well, what makes those coops those coops. I'm trying to make my coop look nice, we haven't build it yet. It's going to be OSB, but I am hoping enough paint will make that okay. Corrugated roofing instead of just plywood painted helps a lot. Wanting to do trim and a flower box. I think enviroment makes a lot.... So please share your opinions and pictures [​IMG]

2. 4theloveofhens

4theloveofhens Songster

May 26, 2010
    Hey Zahboo [​IMG]

I'm right there with you - I have been drawing and "google sketch-up"-ing chicken coops for the past month. [​IMG] Why? Because I can't start building mine until I move at the end of July. So until then, I am going out of my mind looking at all these coops. I just want to get started already! [​IMG] But I must say that the delay has probably helped me really research things and find out information before I would have just jumped into.

Something I reccommend (If you have the time like I do, HAH) is to draw out your coop, including every single piece of wood etc. This has helped a great deal. I found out for the coop I want to build (Thanks to a fellow poster), the total cost of BRAND SPANKING NEW lumber (OSB, 2x4s, etc) will cost about $76. WAY cheaper than I was expecting. I probably won't live at the home I"ll be renting much longer than a couple years (will be a grad student) so I am juggling back and forth about how much time/effort/$$$$$$ I want to put into a chicken coop that may not be mine in a couple years - ughh just makes me sick. [​IMG] ANYWAY, to the point - I am like you in that I am having to go the OSB route with paint (whatever I can afford) and NOW that I know buying ALL new wood will cost me $75, now I'm on a mission to find the pieces for cheap at Restore, recycle, etc.

We'll see how it goes. This post probably didn't help much or answer any of your questions, but I guess my answer to "what makes the difference" is MONEY. [​IMG]

3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I am playing on google sketchup right now! I already have it all planned, just we are trying to buy a house so I am trying to post pone. I have all the cuts written out and all! What I do depends on what house it is! This house has NO shade, so of course more shade is needed, the other house is nothing but shade, little patches of light every few feet, so I just need rain protection, not as much shade. I can't wait to see if we move!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by