What makes a good ICU for a chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kanga77510, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    We haven't built an ICU yet, but what would be a good one? Does it need to be fancy? We have pet cats, so we have a couple of hard plastic travel kennels that were used to ship kitties on the airline. Would those do for a while till we got something more suitable?

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Do you mean ICU as in Intensive Care Unit? If that's what you mean then I would think a at carrier, if the chicken can comfortably stand up, would be fine. I'm guessing that you are putting together an emergency set up, is that right? Or am I wrong? (It happens quite a lot.)

Jenny

Another thing that would work real well would be a Rubbermaid tote with a layer of something in the bottom. It would be easy in and out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    A covered cat litter pan will also work very well.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I used my dogs crate.

I put a cardboard box in it to make my chicken feel more secure, and a small block of wood for her to roost on if she chose to. I used newspaper and towels to line it with.

Its a big crate, and there was room for her food and water and then the cardboard box as well...

(think I have a picture somewhere)
    not the best picture....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by