What makes BYC so popular and the forums so busy?!

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
This is an honest deep question!
yippiechickie.gif

What is it, that makes you come to BYC and has you so active in the forums everyday?! With nearly 40k members and a continuous roll of posting every minute of every day, BYC is by FAR one of the most popular forums I use. I can tell right away that when people start posting they just can't stop themselves!

First, is it all because of the chickens? For no other reason other then chickens do we all come here to communicate everyday with one another? I would guess it was a good start, but I know a lot of us come to talk about off topic stuff too day in and day out. Otherwise we wouldn't have random ramblings, hobbies, jokes and sales threads.

So is it the size of the forums? Is it the layout of the forums? Is it the moderators? (I know I love you guys
wink.png
)

I really would LOVE to know.

I currently use another forum venue... its GREAT... some of my best friends I have ever met are on this forum... but sadly, the forum has slowed to a crawl over there, and if we don't breathe some life into it... I could lose my home away from home. (Other then BYC) AND some of you know the forum I am talking about because I dragged you over here and addicted you to chickens from there. LOL

For anyone interested in this forum, I will give the links and info if asked, but for now... I would like to know about ALL the wonderful things you guys love about BYC and why you make this BY FAR the BIGGEST, BEST online forum community out there.

hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
A forum is only as good as it's members. There are people here I disagree with on pretty much every thread (jjward for example) but we do it calmly, and kindly rather than loud screaming matches. There's been a few topics I've changed my thoughts about, and others not so much, but there is a wealth of knowledge views and discussion here that keeps us all vibrant.

Well that's what I would think, but as members are slowly leaving this other forum... but they are leaving to spend more time on FACEBOOK and other such things. They are not quitting as members completely... just not posting even 50% as much as they used to.

Darn facebook! LOL

We just want to liven things up!

Maybe its something about certain areas of the site?

i love chicken people. They are kind, compassionate, and generally have the same values of life and god as I do. It helps that I see them in my CAA meetings though. (chicken addiction anonymous)

Hmmm... so no technical ideas huh?! You don't prefer the lay out to other sites?! LOL

Well geez... I guess my other forum all need to just get chickens and everyone would post more.
lau.gif

D.gif

It's the people here! They give excellent advice. I came here just browsing the internet to find help for my hen and became addicted. There are even kids on here( including me). Most forus cant get any kid members. Just keep on doing what you do and this will remain a fantastic forum.
celebrate.gif
:celebrate

I also question why this forum is so alluring. I find myself on here, reading away, posting often and making new friends. I rarely go a day without at least checking in. I have posted on very few other forums, and the layout and ease of use for this one is much better. That helps keep me interested, plus I think that many of the folks on here have the same values and interests as I do. It seems, although we often disagree, we do think alot alike as compared with other people. I guess our lifestyles are more similar than different, and chickens are just so enjoyable to have, watch and raise. They are a cheap (er) hobby (as compared to having the same number of, say, horses or cattle) and they make most of us on here happy in one way or another. It is a joy to be able to share that with others who understand and like chickens as much as I do.

Then there are the real reasons this forum is so successful:

1) There are subliminal messages imbedded in each post that make you addicted, unable to turn off the computer.

2) Only here can you ramble on about a chicken (or whatever) and not get "the look", you know, rolling eyes, shocked expression, "they come from where?", eyes glazed over in about 2 minutes. Such as friends and family and especially co-workers.

3) The folks on here are just so nice and friendly.

Back
Top Bottom