What meat birds would be good for me?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ragerkid2, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I want a meat bird that will be big and get big quickly. What breed would that be? Do/can they free range? I'm assuming no. Should I just get them food and water and that's it? Just let them eat how much they want?
    Thanks

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey! Check out the stickies at the top of this forum. There's a TON of information there. Thisthread by Brunty_Farms explains the different types of birds. Many people in this section raise Cornish X (Cornish Cross) birds. They grow quickly and are great in a tractor. This is my first go around with meat birds and I decided to use Red Broilers (Freedom Ranger type) birds.

You will need to feed them. They aren't just going to live off the land. You can free range them if you like, but most people use a tractor or a combo of free ranging and tractoring. There are costs and benefits to both. Also check out this thread by bigredfeather called Meaties101. All of your questions are answered there [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. dommerman01

dommerman01 New Egg

Jun 19, 2011
    Yea the cornish's are awesome. They grow quickly and you receive a lot of meat from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by