What Med. to use for infection

Slater1995

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Mount Orab, OH - East of Cincy
Can anyone suggest what antiobiotic I should use for an infection? This would be like a wound that has gotten an infection.

The bird is already on Duamycian in her water and the wound has been treated with Neosporin, but it does not seem to be healing and it looks like it may be getting a little green tint to a small area.

Any thoughts on what might be a better to treat the wound?

Thanks

Hoping someone with more experience can help you! Just bumping the thread up so that people see it!
smile.png

When a wound won't heal, I usually suspect a drug resistant staph infection. If that wound has any smell, it may indicate gangrene has set in. If this is staph, Duramycin (which is erythromycin) would be an okay choice, better than the oxytetracycline in Tylan. Perhaps you need to step up your attack on the topical front (treating the wound more aggressively) in addition to the oral antibiotic. The effectiveness of Neosporin (neomycin) can be greatly enhanced by the addition of bacitracin and polymyxin. You can get all three of these in one tube of "Triple Antibiotic." I purchase mine at Wal-Mart - very reasonable price. Also, if this wound smells and you suspect gangrene, treating it with oygenation therapy may be helpful. The way to do that at home is with hydrogen peroxide. Pour 5% hydrogen peroxide (in the brown bottle found in your pharmacy next to the alcohol) directly on the wound. It will bubble remarkably when it contacts the blood/serum of the wound. What it is doing is giving up its extra oxygen molecule. It acts as an antiseptic and also helps to soften and remove some of the festering tissue. Only do this twice (once in the morning and once at night), applying a generous amount of Triple Antibiotic to the wound in between. Thereafter, only use the Triple Antibiotic. Continued use of the peroxide will prevent healing. Lastly, if you can expose that wound to strong sunshine for 15 minutes several times per day, that will also combat infection. Ultraviolet rays are antibiotic/antiseptic.

Quote:
Thanks for the great information.

I ordered some antiobiotics online Doxycycline 50 mg Capsules and Penicillin 250 mg Tablets. I am hoping one of them might do the trick. I am using Neosporin which is a tripple anitobiotic on the wound. I have actually coverd caked it on it and covered it. I change it daily at night. There is no smell just a little swelling and discoloration. I think it is in it's early stages so I am trying to kick it quick.

Green is not necessarily bad in a bird- their bruises turn green as they age. Ours are red/purple, theirs start out red/purple- but will turn a disturbing shade of bright green as the blood breaks down and gets resorbed. Green & smelly fluid is bad, a bright green bruise is usually normal healing. Step back and reevaluate. Is is swollen, is it hotter than the surrounding tissue, does it smell? If not, your bird may be mending just fine.

Thank you everyone for so much for the great advice. This evening when I checked her wounds she looked better, the green tint that I was seeing seems to be gone and the swelling has gone done some. there is still no smell and she is not warm. I am continuing to treat with neosporin after cleaning the wound and then covering it well. She is still eating and drinking well.

I've recently had great results with Baytril. I got a prescription from an aviary vet, but supposedly you can purchase it online.

Back
Top Bottom