What Months Do They Start laying?

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Fluffy Feather Farm
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Texas, Panhandle
I got 5 of my guineas back in the 1st of June ( 2010 - Last Year ), They were around 5-6 months old in October. I know Guineas are seasonly layers and only lay in Spring and Fall but what are the months they start to laying in? April, March? The reason I'm asking is I'm suppost to hatch out some keets for a BYC'er as soon as they start laying but I'll probably have my 'bator full of eggs all year so kind of need a head's up when they might possibly begin laying.
smile.png
Thanks~

~God Bless~

Depending on where you are it could be as early as the end of February. But generally its March & April. No one can really give a more precise date then that.

Mine are about the same age, maybe a little older.
I have a question, if you don't totally freerange your guineas, and they have a coop and a run could they be taught to lay in a nest box or would they just lay out in the run? Should the nestbox be on the floor of the coop or up high?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a 21 hole-nesting box in the coop. My guineas are living w/ the chickens. I've seen the guin-hens go and look inside the nesting boxes but not eggies yet. I would leave them locked in their coop for a few weeks after they start laying-or are about to lay. That what I'm going to do w/ mine.

Guineas usually don't set until they have about 20 eggs and they seem to be fertile after sitting that long. By the time you let the first eggs go - or eat them, and start collecting the rest you should have plenty of time to clear a spot in the incubator. I've had 100% hatches with eggs that were well over ten days old before they were set.

vebyrd36 my 5 adult guineas used to come and jump all over me and beg for food and eat out of my hand etc, but when they moved to the coop they kind of got wild.

Chikoman13 I still have to go take a shower before I can go to bed. But I'd be happy to show you some pictures-would Sunday be sufficient? I'll be gone all day tomorrow. I have 2 calves ( not counting the 30-50+ calves in the lots ) and I have 11 guineas, Pied, Pearl, and Lavender.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom