What NOT to feed ducks

I guess I will have to share the dandelions once I get the ducks. I pick the tender new leaves and use it to make a tonic type of salad dressing
big_smile.png

Ummm, if you want to eat your dandelions I suggest you fence off an area and keep your ducks out. They are prodigous poopers. I wouldn't eat anything from where my ducks were walking around.

kale is like a lettuce right? i think i have given my ducks that before in one of those lettuce/salad mixes that come in bags. they love when ever they get that stuff. however i've found corn and peas and tomatoes are the most loved.

Wifezilla is corn a problem for your allergies? cracked corn would make an excellent replacement for the grains (as long as you feed them the other stuff as well)... it's natural and and non-processed carbs like fruits. the main reason they say ducks need to eat grains is because they have the carbs for energy. the cracked corn would do the same (in fact my scratch grains has corn in it).

my ducks just had an excellent thanksgiving dinner... they had corn off the cob (which they LOVED breaking apart) they had just a piece of yams, a little bit of a cresent roll, and turkey (which they loved!) i know it seems weird, but my ducks don't get to eat a lot of protein treats... they liked it alot. in fact they are currently sleeping in their indoor pen next to my patio. they have their little beaks tucked in their wings and are happy as clams

the main reason they say ducks need to eat grains is because they have the carbs for energy.

See, that's the problem. They say the same thing about PEOPLE and it is completely false. People do not need carbohydrates. The government currently recommends a diet based on carbohydrates, totally ignoring the rising obesity rates, heart disease rates, and explosion of type 2 diabetes cases.

Carbohydrates = sugar. Period. For every 50g of carbohydrates you eat, you are actually eating the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar REGARDLESS of the carbohydrate source. There is no such thing as an "essential carbohydrate" but, humans at least, NEED fatty acids along with the proper level of protein.

Knowing this, and looking a bit in to the diet of a wild duck, I am questioning the premise that ducks need sugar.

Corn as a treat? Sure, why not. As the basis for their diet????????​

I had a goose that loved to munch on my avacado trees. He got shifted and was crippled the rest of his life. In fact, he nearly died at one point before one of the University types recognized it was the avacado trees.

Be aware == some backyard plants really can hurt our flocks.

Quote:
See, that's the problem. They say the same thing about PEOPLE and it is completely false. People do not need carbohydrates. The government currently recommends a diet based on carbohydrates, totally ignoring the rising obesity rates, heart disease rates, and explosion of type 2 diabetes cases.

Carbohydrates = sugar. Period. For every 50g of carbohydrates you eat, you are actually eating the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar REGARDLESS of the carbohydrate source. There is no such thing as an "essential carbohydrate" but, humans at least, NEED fatty acids along with the proper level of protein.

Knowing this, and looking a bit in to the diet of a wild duck, I am questioning the premise that ducks need sugar.

Corn as a treat? Sure, why not. As the basis for their diet????????

Wifezilla, corn is a good food for ducks, geese and chickens.

As for people not "needing" carbs, and the government supposedly doing promo for carbs, let's clear that up right now.

Grains are most certainly essential in our diets. When it comes to diabetes, it is the MONITORING of carbs in the diet that is essential in the control of diabetes. Diabetics are not told to eat an all carb diet, and they are in fact using a diet called a "Carb Diet" which is somewhat misleading. The diet simply controls the amounts of carbs that is eaten, not a diet full of or nothing but carbs.

In the wild, birds will eat grains and insects, as well as anything they can pilfer from humans.

Grains are an economical energy source. That's what it comes down to. Easy to grow, easy to transport, easy to store. If faced with the choice of bread or nothing, I'm going with the bread. I'm not disagreeing with your personal choice, I'm just saying, there's not much "choice" about it for some people with family's to feed. Fresh veggies and protein are *much* more expensive to come by than any of the cereal grains.

Wild ducks lay one clutch of eggs a year (two in some areas) and that's it. Most breeds of domestic ducks are excellent layers (even "meat" breeds, like pekins). They will need energy to stay in good condition while producing what they were bred to produce. Can you provide enough energy from protein? Probably, but it's going to take a lot more $$ to get them enough minnows. That would basically be the equivalent of putting your duckies on Adkins. I don't know about you, but I don't think I want a bunch of anorexic model-type ducks hanging around. Next thing you know, I'll be renting them limo's and getting them a butler, fending of the paparozzadrakes...

Grains are most certainly essential in our diet

Sorry, they are not. Cheap? Yes. Essential? Nope.

I have spent the last 2 years researching this due to my own health issues. It was not my intent to become an expert on carbohydrates, diet, diabetes, etc... but I HAD to before I ended up on medication or worse.

I was 280 lbs, miserable and hungry all the time on a diet of whole grains and low fat. I lost 40 lbs cutting calories further, eating high fiber, and working out like a crazy person. I had constant joint pain, headaches, and stomach problems. My blood pressure went up till I was geting steady readings in the 149/95 range. Then I started to gain weight again despite eating fewer calories and working out more.

Out of desperation I tried low carb. Not Atkin's, but "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves combined with elements of "Protein Power" by Mike & Mary Eades. I dropped 42 pounds so far...most of that in 6 months. Since I am 6' tall, my goal weight is 190. I only have 18 lbs to go.

I haven't had grains (intentionally) in 18 months. My blood pressure is 101/62. My joint pain only flares up once in a great while (I am 45 after all). I sleep better and have more energy than I have in years. I have UNDONE damage caused me by eating plenty of whole grains (I never liked white bread, and had switched to brown rice over 10 years ago) along with corn and potatoes. Given all this, you can understand where I am coming from.

During my 18 months on low carb, I ALSO started researching information on diet concerning my cats. One is older than dirt, and the other one was so fat she looked like a furry bowling ball. I reasoned if grains and starches were bad for me (omnivore), they had to be really bad for the cats (carnivores). I switched them from their standard corn-based food to a low carbohydrate, high protein dry food and also researched wet food and possibly a raw food diet. 6 months later, Xena (my fat kitty) has gone from 22 lbs down to 11. Her coat is shiny and softer than ever. She actually plays instead of laying around all the time looking like a baby harp seal. She will be 12 in a few months. My older cat, Cookie, turned 19 in September. Sure, she sleeps alot, but she is alert and still jumps on all the furniture. She lost a little weight too, but really didn't need to lose much. The difference for her is movement. She had slowed down a lot over the years, but seems to have less stiffness when she gets up. She also doesn't throw up all the time like she used to. That alone is worth it
big_smile.png
Our new kitty (Zeus) is only 1. He loves the low carb food and this diet will get him muscular and fit like he is now.

Is their food now more expensive? Yes. But guess what? They EAT LESS than they used to. Same with me. Low carb food can be more expensive (but not as much as you would think... seriously) but the amount of food I eat is so much less.

ksacres, you are right. grains and starches ARE cheap. And yes, bread IS petter than starving. But fresh veggies when you grow many of it yourself is no financial burden at all. As for the protein, I buy in bulk when it is on sale. I have 6 turkeys in my freezer right now
big_smile.png

Will it be expensive to raise ducks on a higher protein/higher fat/ lower carb diet? Possibly. I am already feeding the cats that way and they don't give me eggs or fertilizer in return.

As for the anorexia comment, I am not sure where you are getting your info, but low carb doesn't work that way.

After that long post, I guess what I am saying is that I am not convinced that ducks REQUIRE grains and corn. Can feeding them these items be cheaper for me? Possibly.

I will do more research....I am particularly interested in sources of freeze-dried insect. Alfalfa is also something that may be inexpensive AND high in protein.

Remember, these ducks will be free ranging every day. I wont be feeding them minnows on a silver platter :p

(If you are curious...great book to check out. It outlines the history of current dietary advice and where it all went wrong... "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes)​

Last edited:
But fresh veggies when you grow many of it yourself is no financial burden at all.

You must have never visited Wyoming-weeds don't even grow here
wink.png

Acutally, I am going to try to put in a small garden next year, but I don't hold out much hope for it, even with daily waterings, the wind kills most everything. Wish me luck
hmm.png

As for the anorexia comment, I am not sure where you are getting your info, but low carb doesn't work that way.

Just a joke. As you have seen for yourself, the low carb did cause weight loss in your animals, I was just exagerating for effect.

Alfalfa is also something that may be inexpensive AND high in protein.

My poultry animals do eat pick through my goat hay (alfalfa/grass mix), but it by no means provides a complete diet. My pure alfalfa and de-hy (hay pellets) top out in the 16% protein range. Most waterfowl people will tell you they need higher protein than that to truly thrive. We feed ours (everything, chickens and all) a 20% feed.

Some have said that feeding excessive amounts of roughage (like leafy greens) can cause crop binding. I've never seen that first hand, so I can't really offer any help on that subject, btu it's another potential cog in the wheel.​

If you were looking for waterfowl in general, why not try geese? They are natural grazers, and some, like the Chinese, are also very good layers.

You may have an easier time converting a goose to an all natural diet than a duck, just because geese are naturally inclined to graze for most of their foodstuffs.

Back
Top Bottom