What NOT to feed quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailswiss, Aug 29, 2013.

1. quailswiss

quailswiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    I was wondering what plant or kitchen scraps should NOT be fed to quail?

Tomato and Potato greens?
    Uncooked potato/potato peels?
    meat?
    cheese?

Thanks for any input.

2. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

I have avoided all of the above, but if you eat the eggs you should not give them onions, turnips, rutabagas, etc.. because they flavour the egg

3. quailswiss

quailswiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    What about cabbage? they seem to love the leaves!

4. jsheepdog

jsheepdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2013
    I've fed my quails cabbage & they love it!

5. AK Chicken Guy

AK Chicken Guy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I feed mine all kinds of greens they love alfalfa sprouts.
    [​IMG]

6. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    I always recommend avoiding iceberg lettuce and celery. These veggies offer no nutritional value and may lead to malnutrition and diarrhea. I also avoid potato because it is almost pure starch and can lead to obesity and kidney problems if fed too often.

Collard greens, green leaf lettuce, kale, and other leafy greens are good choices.

The only dairy products I will feed birds is yogurt for it's beneficial bacteria. But I will only offer it sparingly, lactose is hard for birds to digest.

7. QuailNewbee

QuailNewbee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Do these guys benefit at all from offering them cuttlebone?

8. QuailRaiser

QuailRaiser Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a sprouter thatv I use in winter for all kinds of sprouts: it helps cut back on food costs

9. Scgamebirds

Scgamebirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    greens are a good food for quail. I also offer fruit as well. Cuttle bone is a good source of calcium although a little pricey when they can have crushed oyster shell, But nothing wrong with it. Be careful not to offer to much of the other food as they require a high protein diet and they may get liking to much as not get their needs met. I offer these other products in small quatities as treats. its like what was pointed out to me by a vet this summer. If you feed to much scratch that the chickens will tend to eat that and ignore the higher protein pellets as scratch has only half the protein required for fat happy chickens. The bean sprouts suggested are great. I didn't include them in the first part of my post so I added them so you would know I not saying don't offer.

10. AK Chicken Guy

AK Chicken Guy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I get mine from the sprout guy here it the ones he pulls from grocery store shelves that don't sell. So totally free well I do go and pick it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by