What NOT to feed to chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tdub4chiks, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I know you should not feed morning glories, potato skins, onions and garlic. Is there a list of things that you should not feed to chickens - or things that are toxic.

I just through away some green beans. I can't believe I forgot that the girls would have enjoyed them.

What about canned Pork n Beans - can they eat them?

Thanks for any help.

Tdub

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

There is a list on here somewhere that lists all kinds of things you shouldn't give your chickens. I however believe chickens won't eat what will kill them. I had them stick their heads in a bucket of laytex paint, eat moring glories (I have those all over the chicken fence), and expanding foam insulation.

3. Lilacfeather

Lilacfeather Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    There's a treat chart at the top of the 'feeding and watering' section, and at the end is a list of no-nos.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I think the pork and beans would be fine.

I wouldn't even worry if there was onions and garlic in the pot. [​IMG]

Lots of chickens have eaten metal and glass and that's done them in. When it comes to swallowing something that looks right to them, chickens aren't the brightest bulbs on the farm.

Steve

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I thought I read on here that many people put cloves of garlic in the water to help boost the immune system? I thought garlic was ok? Not sure just asking.

6. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Saw my chicks eating packing foam. [​IMG] ..Sure that's not good for them.. [​IMG] .Not leaving it up to them to decide what's good for them. [​IMG] ..they ARE bird brains after all!
    Get it from your vet or advice from sages on this site - don't experiment with the lives entrusted to you.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Quote:Garlic and onions are ok to give to chickens, but they will make the eggs smell and taste different.

I have given mine cooked onion before with no problems.

8. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    garlic is in the recipe for natural worming, and people do put it in the water. I would not suggest giving them chopped garlic. I did that and my son told me the next time he was up that he had and egg that tasted like garlic. I laughed and told him sorry, I had given the hens some garlic and one must have gotten to much and it flavored the egg. He was happy to hear he hadn't eaten a poisonous egg or something. so caution with garlic. maybe mince it or steep in oil. that is another way i have read it can be used. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by