What NOT to feed to chickens

Tdub4chiks

Songster
9 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Constantia, NY
I know you should not feed morning glories, potato skins, onions and garlic. Is there a list of things that you should not feed to chickens - or things that are toxic.

I just through away some green beans. I can't believe I forgot that the girls would have enjoyed them.

What about canned Pork n Beans - can they eat them?

Thanks for any help.

Tdub

There is a list on here somewhere that lists all kinds of things you shouldn't give your chickens. I however believe chickens won't eat what will kill them. I had them stick their heads in a bucket of laytex paint, eat moring glories (I have those all over the chicken fence), and expanding foam insulation.

I think the pork and beans would be fine.

I wouldn't even worry if there was onions and garlic in the pot.
smile.png

Lots of chickens have eaten metal and glass and that's done them in. When it comes to swallowing something that looks right to them, chickens aren't the brightest bulbs on the farm.

Steve

I thought I read on here that many people put cloves of garlic in the water to help boost the immune system? I thought garlic was ok? Not sure just asking.

Saw my chicks eating packing foam.
ep.gif
..Sure that's not good for them..
tongue.gif
.Not leaving it up to them to decide what's good for them.
sickbyc.gif
..they ARE bird brains after all!
Get it from your vet or advice from sages on this site - don't experiment with the lives entrusted to you.

Last edited:
Quote:
Garlic and onions are ok to give to chickens, but they will make the eggs smell and taste different.

I have given mine cooked onion before with no problems.

garlic is in the recipe for natural worming, and people do put it in the water. I would not suggest giving them chopped garlic. I did that and my son told me the next time he was up that he had and egg that tasted like garlic. I laughed and told him sorry, I had given the hens some garlic and one must have gotten to much and it flavored the egg. He was happy to hear he hadn't eaten a poisonous egg or something. so caution with garlic. maybe mince it or steep in oil. that is another way i have read it can be used.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom