What NOT to give chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by watchdogps, Jul 5, 2011.

1. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I plan on leaving a container on my counter to toss kitchen scraps in for my chickens. I'd like to make a little list of what should NOT go in there to set in front of it (mostly for hubby who will forget what I tell him instantly if it isnt written down...)

So, what kind of things from a people kitchen should I not give my chickens?

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    no avocadoes.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might look toward the bottom of this chart for what not to give them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Pay attention when you read the chart. Potato peelings are fine. Green potato peelings are not. Cooked beans are fine. Uncooked beans are not.

It is not like they will immediately fall over dead when they eat most of these things. In small amounts, they generally don't bother the chickens that much. And a lot of time the damage is gradual over time. They have to keep eating them for a while for them to cause damage. And the damage is not always immediately apparent. A chicken may live for a year with a damaged liver from something it ate, then just fall over dead for no apparent reason. That damaged liver finally gave out.

Use some common sense. Apple seeds, like a lot of fruit seeds, contain cyanide, a deadly poison. But there is not enough in one seed to cause a problem. I do not worry at all about a chicken eating an apple that falls off a tree and eating the seeds too. But when I make apple jelly, I do not dump all those seeds in one place for the chickens to get them. I dispose of them away from the chickens.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by