What odd vegetables/fruits should I plant this year??

I’m adding to my original answer since I can’t seem to stop buying seeds.
I’m also growing Asparagus Beans, Dragon Tongue Beans, Aspabroc, Lemon Cucumber, Sunberry, Haskap, Mustard for seeds, Amaranth, as well as new to me varieties of peppers and tomatoes.
I’ll also be trying watermelon and cantaloupe, which will be a challenge in my zone 3 garden.

My new things this year are Jerusalem artichoke, gooseberry (hinnomaki red is the variety), purple majesty potato, mountain rose potato, rhubarb (glaskin's perpetual is the variety) , glass gem corn, kale (common but never grew it), brussels sprouts (tried last year but they didn't take), 3-sisters (not a new plant necessarily, but a new technique for me), native plum trees, meyer lemon tree (indoor) and dwarf pomegranate tree (indoor).

Some other uncommon garden finds might be luffa (long growing season though), artichoke (not sure if your zone would work out), asparagus, and parsnips. Something unique I want to try but haven't is Mexican gherkins (aka: cucamelons).

My in-laws have a lot of mature wild plums on their property. The fruits are small, but tasty and plentiful. It is an excellent plant to add to the landscape. Grown in the open they will get big and round. I have Jerusalem artichoke in my native plantings. I spread seed I gathered from a native population. They are nice looking but spread rapidly. I have to pull them out of my Michigan lilies. If you eat the tubers let us know how they are. The only think I have heard about them is that they can give you gas.

This is my second year growing luffa. Last year the vines did well and had lots of flowers but we only had one hours grow. I don't know if I need to pollinate them or what. I need to do some more research here soon.

Back
Top Bottom