What Old English Game Bantam Color is this?

CiaBia

Songster
Feb 12, 2018
Miami, Florida
Hey guys! New to OEGB, so bear with me. I have a roughly 7 week old cockereI whose color I'm unsure about. Some background:
Late February I received a batch of straight run self blue old English game bantams from Ideal hatchery. Right away I noticed they accidentally gave me a blue OEGB chick which was fine, it had a great personality! Fast forward 7 weeks, I'm noticing he's developing some gold feathering around the head,neck and saddle area. On Ideal's website they have several variations of blue (lemon blue, blue red, blue golden duckwing), does this look like any of those or just a leaky blue?

I ask because I have someone local offering me some blue hens, and wondered if I should get them for this little boy once he's old enough. I'd love to keep him just not in my self blue pen, he would wreak genetic havoc!

I am fully aware that hatchery stock is backyard quality, so I'm not expecting anything close to SOP. He's also missing some points on his comb from when he was a chick.
IMG_20180409_145912853_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20180409_145909253_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Looked it up, almost seems he could either be Lemon Blue or Blue Brassy Back. :) I think time will tell for sure on this handsome little man!

~Alex
Thank you so much for the reply! That's great to hear, I didn't know about the blue brassy back. I'm sure all the variants of blue look similar this young, but whatever he ends up being I'm fine with! :D

You're welcome! :D Definitely, it's hard to determine the specific color right now, but we should know soon. :) He'll be gorgeous no matter what!

~Alex

Yay, I'm so excited!! Thanks again for the help and support :hugs I'll definitely have to get him some girlies, I'd hate to see him destined for the bachelor pen.

x2 Alexandra
Thanks for the input! :)
I think he's a Lemon Blue.
Difference between this andBlue Brassy Back is that these are lighter blue, more lavender, and lemons are darker.
That's very good to know actually, I'll definitely keep my eye out for that as he develops more. I think it's safe to say for now, I'll go with Lemon Blue! :wee
Or at least a hatcheries version of it, lol. I really appreciate all the responses guys, thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom