What on earth is this

I would probably give either Baytril (enrofloxacin) or amoxicillin. If you can't get a response from your vet you can get both of those on line, both would be given orally. Enrofloxacin is available here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/
Amoxicillin is available as Fish Mox, also at the same place and at many others on line.
This is an old thread with instructions on flushing with a vinegar solution, I've never had to do this, but I don't think it would do any harm (flush in post #3): https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/which-antibiotic-for-egg-bound-chicken.775765/

Perhaps the antibiotics I am giving her are working. She’s a whole lot perkier today. I’m in Australia so that baytril stuff would take Atleast three weeks to get here.

I have her some frusemide last night. It might have worked her poops are a lot firmer today

What antibiotics are you giving?
You mention it popped? Does she have a discharge?

That did look like a soft shell egg and since it wasn't expelled, it may still be in the oviduct or it could have traveled back up the oviduct and is now in the abdomen (Internal Laying).

I do not see how this could be your fault though, there's no sense in even going down that road. Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis, cancer, tumors, etc. sadly, these are all common in laying hens. While it's not as common in new layers, it's not unheard of.

Laying double yolkers and extra large eggs....you had nothing to do with that either. Double yolk eggs are from 2 yolks being released and incorporated into the egg. This can also be common in new layers.

She is doing a lot better today. I have taken her out of her tiny hospital coup and out into some sunshine and roaming space. Her abdomen is nearly rid of all red / purple. She is eating drinking and talking again. Her sister is very protective of her, pecking my hands when I was checking her over hehe the other two chooks were pecking her so I’ve put her in this cage. Her sister is eating with her and loving seeing her again
6FC0F7EC-3D8C-44ED-80A4-6C35E80AE97E.jpeg

I’ve given her calcium ... also some frusemide. I’m hoping she begins laying again so no more eggs pop inside of her and the process repeats itself

Today I’ve noticed purple/blue in her comb. Now I’m thinking it’s water belly (ascites) and there’s no cure for her :(

In fact all prognosis’s look dreary. So
Did you mean furosimide or lasix? I don’t think that I would use that without a vet, since it could cause dehydration. Glad to hear that she is doing better.
yes it’s furosemide, it’s also called frusemide on the bottle ( got both names on it) ahh I gave her the smallest possible dose just to help her along. But good to know, thanks for the info, perhaps she did become a touch dehydrated as her comb has a tinge of purple at the base at the front. I thought maybe she has water belly, but perhaps just dehydrated. Thanks I will probably stop the frusemide now

Hopefully it is not ascites at this point, but she is having symptoms of a reproductive problem. I would also try to get some Baytril (enrofloxacin) from your vet, since I am sure that you cannot get it without one in AU. It may be helpful in the future if she gets worse. The chlortetracycline treatment should be finished though, and it may be helpful.

Do you feel a lot of fullness or tightness in her lower belly? Ascites can develop after heart failure or liver disease secondary to cancer or egg yolk peritonitis. Unfortunately many hens can suffer from those problems. But hopefully, she will improve on the medicines, and continuing the calcium supplements to make her shells stronger. Some people learn how to remove fluid from the belly occasionally if there is ascites.

That yellow poop looks like egg yolk peritonitis, especially if it has a strange eggy smell.

My first chickens were RIRs from a local breeder, apparently bred for high egg production. Began laying very, very young, during winter, with eggs too large to close the carton from the beginning. Eggs gradually got smaller, instead of larger, as is usual. Every one died of egg yolk peritonitis at about 5 yrs. Since then, I have acquired one set of hens from a neighbor seeking to thin, that included 3 RIR hybrids (red star?) of unknown age. Two died that seemed to be from egg yolk peritonitis. One lives, and I have a daughter of one of them, half red star, and some chicks from the daughter. Both appear healthy, and are my most outgoing personalities.

I attempted the egg yolk peritonitis treatments listed here and elsewhere- drawing out fluid with needle, giving baths, antibiotics (that was when you could buy them at TS without a vet). It just seemed to prolong their misery. I swore I would never get RIRs again, but then I got those 3 red stars in a group purchase. Have mixed breed descendants from them, but hopefully the tendency to get EYP will be diluted.

Hopefully it is not ascites at this point, but she is having symptoms of a reproductive problem. I would also try to get some Baytril (enrofloxacin) from your vet, since I am sure that you cannot get it without one in AU. It may be helpful in the future if she gets worse. The chlortetracycline treatment should be finished though, and it may be helpful.

Do you feel a lot of fullness or tightness in her lower belly? Ascites can develop after heart failure or liver disease secondary to cancer or egg yolk peritonitis. Unfortunately many hens can suffer from those problems. But hopefully, she will improve on the medicines, and continuing the calcium supplements to make her shells stronger. Some people learn how to remove fluid from the belly occasionally if there is ascites.

Yes I’ve read how people drain it out with the syringe and I feel like for me that is way out of my depth. I don’t think I could do that.

I’ve been feeling her belly and to me it doesn’t feel too different to perhaps how I think it should feel. I didn’t give her the frusemide tonight and tonight was day 6 I think of the antibiotic. Should I stop at a week?

That yellow poop looks like egg yolk peritonitis, especially if it has a strange eggy smell.

My first chickens were RIRs from a local breeder, apparently bred for high egg production. Began laying very, very young, during winter, with eggs too large to close the carton from the beginning. Eggs gradually got smaller, instead of larger, as is usual. Every one died of egg yolk peritonitis at about 5 yrs. Since then, I have acquired one set of hens from a neighbor seeking to thin, that included 3 RIR hybrids (red star?) of unknown age. Two died that seemed to be from egg yolk peritonitis. One lives, and I have a daughter of one of them, half red star, and some chicks from the daughter. Both appear healthy, and are my most outgoing personalities.

I attempted the egg yolk peritonitis treatments listed here and elsewhere- drawing out fluid with needle, giving baths, antibiotics (that was when you could buy them at TS without a vet). It just seemed to prolong their misery. I swore I would never get RIRs again, but then I got those 3 red stars in a group purchase. Have mixed breed descendants from them, but hopefully the tendency to get EYP will be diluted.
Yep! I will never get hyline brown hens again. I had no idea that this sort of stuff happens to the chooks bred for egg production. I feel horrible for her. Humans are cruel.
If she doesn’t start laying again normally and declines again I will just take her out of her misery. It’s been so full on treating her and looking after her with a baby and toddler at home. Really overwhelming emotionally aswell

Back
Top Bottom