What on earth is Willie? (Difficulty: Besides "a duck.")

What is Willie?

• Buff Duck

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Light Khaki

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pekin + [something]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A chicken in a really clever disguise

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

DanielleInUro

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Dallas, Tx
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I have a puzzle with absolutely no stakes and no urgency, but I've been curious about it for months. I have five perfect little ducks who we love very much--our Rouen (Trish), and four mixed ducks. We know Jenny is half Khaki Campbell and half golden layer 300. We THINK Bork is part Cayuga and part Rouen, because he looks like a Cayuga with a faint rouen-type coloring on his chest. We have some reason to think that Pica is half Pekin and half fawn and white runner, mostly because she's shaped like a Pekin but has fawn and white coloring and a runner voice.

Willie, on the other hand...we have no idea WHAT he is, aside from one of the most beautiful ducks I've ever seen. I thought light khaki, but he's too light. I thought Buff Orphington, but he has a light head--he was born on January 8th, wouldn't he have a dark head if he was a buff? He looks IDENTICAL to a girl buff, but his drake feather, his love affair with both Trish and Pica (THAT's a little Melrose place in my backyard) and his lack of any quack at all say otherwise.

I'm sure he's a mix of SOMETHING, but we're curious as to what. What say you, experienced duck folks?

Attachments

• IMG_20170607_192843.jpg
    IMG_20170607_192843.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20170607_192749.jpg
    IMG_20170607_192749.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170607_192804.jpg
    IMG_20170607_192804.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170607_192807.jpg
    IMG_20170607_192807.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 14
no clue but he sure is pretty

Thank you. He's been my prettiest duck since he was a duckling. We got him, Bork, and Pica at a TSC type store the day after saying "Sure, let's get ducks."

Some type of a crested duck.
(You probably already know this)
http://farmingfriends.com/crested-khaki-campbell-duck/

Yes...his "jaunty little hat" makes him bizarrely popular with my coworkers. :) We just could never figure out, a crested "what?"

Thank you, chickens_really. Even with the lighter head? Or do you think it will darken up over time? Now that I look at his head, which has always been the same color as the rest of him, I'm starting to think that it's actually darkened a little more than I had noticed, so I think that's what I'll call him.

Thank you very much, egraham. I'm inclined to agree, but I'm biased. :) I really only want to know because so many people ask what kind of duck he is (the people asking don't have or know anything bout ducks, so it's one question of many), and I'm so tired of answering "..and Willie is..well I'm not sure what Willie is."

Yes! But Willie has always had a buff-colored head. It actually wasn't until just now, looking at this photo, that I see that his head is no longer exactly the same color as the rest of him. Frankly, I feel kind of silly not to have noticed it. It shows more in pictures, though.

Back
Top Bottom