What on earth laid this huge egg!

Sambowling

Songster
May 18, 2021
Hi all, not been on here a while, but have a question about an egg!

We have recently moved from the outskirts of a city to the country. We now have a huge garden with the top end being woodland. Our chickens, a cockerel, 3 bantam girls and a cuckoo maran hen and our 3 ducks, Honey the drake (who was quite famous on this site as he was hatched by our bantam from a supermarket egg) and 2 Cayuga girls. They absolutely love it here, the woodland and lots of bushes and plants to root around. The ducks have changed in that they put themselves to bed now like the chickens, they never, ever did this before.

The real strange thing is a massive egg that appeared in the duck nest. It is not a chicken egg (first in the picture) as these are quite small. The Cayuga girls eggs are green (middle in the picture), the last egg in the picture is a mystery, it is large and white. My husband thinks Honey laid it, but this is impossible as he is a drake! What do you think 🤔

Attachments

• 20230320_122320.jpg
    20230320_122320.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 29
One of the chickens may have just laid a double yolk- I have no experience with ducks yet, so do the ducks lay big eggs, or are they smaller like the bantams eggs? Who laid the first egg in the picture? because that was probably your culprit, laid a double yolk. If your ducks lay greenish eggs, then it can't be them as the culprit will lay the same color egg.
Here's an example of what may potentially be a double yolk
(sometimes they are not doubled, and just happen to be a tad bigger): Same chicken laid these two eggs.
20230320_085347.jpg

Last edited:
The first egg is a bantam egg, the second is a duck egg and the third we don't know! What causes them to lay a double yolker?

I have a duck who was new to laying eggs at the time
She laid 4 double yolks over a months time
They were huge
Her normal was around 70-75 grams
These were 89-104 grams
Sometimes the system is getting straight
This can happen after a long winter break or when they first start to lay
Nothing bad about it though
I actually incubated 2 of them and had twins get to the end but lost them right at hatch missing the bruises while sleeping

Hi all, not been on here a while, but have a question about an egg!

We have recently moved from the outskirts of a city to the country. We now have a huge garden with the top end being woodland. Our chickens, a cockerel, 3 bantam girls and a cuckoo maran hen and our 3 ducks, Honey the drake (who was quite famous on this site as he was hatched by our bantam from a supermarket egg) and 2 Cayuga girls. They absolutely love it here, the woodland and lots of bushes and plants to root around. The ducks have changed in that they put themselves to bed now like the chickens, they never, ever did this before.

The real strange thing is a massive egg that appeared in the duck nest. It is not a chicken egg (first in the picture) as these are quite small. The Cayuga girls eggs are green (middle in the picture), the last egg in the picture is a mystery, it is large and white. My husband thinks Honey laid it, but this is impossible as he is a drake! What do you think 🤔
Probably the cuckoo marans. If the first egg is a bantam, middle egg is definitely a duck egg. So that leaves the only full size bird. And yes, that is a chicken egg. It’s not a duck egg, duck eggs are allmost never that color.

Back
Top Bottom