What on EARTH?!?!?! Missing bird NO body, no feathers!

I have ducks that have disappeared without a trace, and amazingly they have come back a month, and even two months later. I've also had adult chickens roost in the trees 6-8 feet high off the ground.

Last summer I lost a chicken or duck almost every night. My husband and girls and I stayed up late to see if we could figure out what was going on and the only thing we ever saw was a lone coyote. We acquired a donkey this past spring and he's so territorial that he even chased the chickens out of his fence. He's gotten used to them now but all the coyotes stay far away now. And my chickens are oblivious to the danger their in from time to time. Shrek, (the donkey) brays all day and all night if he hears something a and the chickens all stop to see what he's having a fit about. I've even seen them fly up in the trees when he keeps it up only to fly back down when he goes back to eating. I love him he's so sweet!

Turns out it might be the great dane from the next acreage over. He runs amok over and around here a lot. He never barks. And i can see him catching a chicken and running off with it home to play with it until it dies.

I came home from shopping today and the dane was across the street picking on the elderly woman out picking up her mail. The dog refused to go home. My son had to drag it home.

I can't stand irresponsible pet owners.

I didn't see him kill and take the bird yesterday, but a game camera is now up and running and girls are kept in the run unless actively supervised.

Spring may bring a new coop and run with an electric poultry fence. As well as a few more birds.

Back
Top Bottom