what other birds can be housed with Red Golden Pheasants?

I keep a trio of golden pheasants, adjacent to their flight is my bobwhite flight.
My male golden hates the bobs, he will try and go for any bobwhite that passes by!! I'd hate to think what he would do if he could actually get to them.
The bobs just ignore him and go about their business, totally unphased by his stares.

Myself I wouldn't want to try them together, but that's just my opinion. My male pheasant is just down right moody! He's mean to his girls ( not to the point of injury ) and flies at myself and my 15 year old daughter, but not my husband! Just mean, he's beautiful to look at but just moody.

i have successfully kept goldens with a ton of different stuff. - bobs, ringneck doves, other species of pheasants ( males only in that pen..), quite a few species of waterfowl, peacocks etc. I do not keep any sort of domestic fowl however, just to prevent diseases. and like mentioned quite a bit above, adequate space is absolutely necessary.

The bird world never ceases to amaze me! When we first started an aviary we were told not to keep java sparrows with finches, that they would not breed and would kill finch babies ( we haven't had this problem ever ) ours both breed readily. We were told not to mix zebra finches with society finches as they also wouldn't breed, again this has not been the case.
The only birds we ever had any problems with were budgies. They killed our quail, killed each other, they had ample space, enough breeding boxes for two each, all set at the same exact hight.

If even a Chinese quail gets into our pheasant flight, robart ( cock pheasant ) chases it trying to kill it. Even something that small. We tried one bobwhite that kept being picked on, again we had to remove it.

Having said that, we have bobwhites and Chinese living together peacefully. I've kept Chinese with Japanese, but my friends Japanese quails attack and kill her Chinese. She keeps celestial parrotlets together in a flight. This we had no luck with, fighting, bickering, stressed birds.
If it works for you, then go for it!
It's finding the right balance. ;D

The bird world never ceases to amaze me! When we first started an aviary we were told not to keep java sparrows with finches, that they would not breed and would kill finch babies ( we haven't had this problem ever ) ours both breed readily. We were told not to mix zebra finches with society finches as they also wouldn't breed, again this has not been the case.
The only birds we ever had any problems with were budgies. They killed our quail, killed each other, they had ample space, enough breeding boxes for two each, all set at the same exact hight.

If even a Chinese quail gets into our pheasant flight, robart ( cock pheasant ) chases it trying to kill it. Even something that small. We tried one bobwhite that kept being picked on, again we had to remove it.

Having said that, we have bobwhites and Chinese living together peacefully. I've kept Chinese with Japanese, but my friends Japanese quails attack and kill her Chinese. She keeps celestial parrotlets together in a flight. This we had no luck with, fighting, bickering, stressed birds.
If it works for you, then go for it!
It's finding the right balance. ;D
You are right.....its about balance. Birds are individuals like people, some are just so nasty and aggressive, and others are mellow or shy.

We just have to be careful with advise for beginners - as if something goes wrong it will be out fault for bad advise.

I had a mixed small aviary with budgies, zebra finches, diamond doves, Chinese quail, kakareeki parakeets, and a lone rosella and a canary. All got on together with no problems for many years.

When I moved house I started up a new aviary, but this time I had lots of problems with birds fighting and picking on each other, so I just kept budgies in the end.

I have also had zebra finches and gouldain finches living together in a large cage (waiting till I build the new aviary) and they all were breeding and raising chicks together with no problems, but once in the main aviary the zebra finches attacked the Gouldian finches, and then each other!!!!

So there are no hard and fast rules to follow - just guidelines.

I always advise people to not put in any nesting boxes or places for nesting - it seem the birds get more aggressive when they have a nest to take care of. If you like to breed any birds, best to keep the pair on their own.

I have a 10ft by 20ft pen with 4 decent size bushes and lots of other little boxes for hiding. I have a pair of red goldens and about 50 coturnix quail. I noticed today that the male red golden is starting to display for the quail. They are very confused by it but it's funny to watch. I guess his girlfriend isn't paying enough attention to him or he is just practicing so he can be really good at it to impress his girl. lol

I have pigeons, japs and bobwhites in with my goldens. My goldens are terribly friendly, but if I am raking out the aviary and one of my chickens walks in the pheasants will "ram" the chicken to kick them out. I've never had pheasants get out as it is an enormous run and they tend to stay at one end when I am working in there :)

Depends on the personality of the pheasants I guess. My bobwhites have a bit of attitude to intruders, as do the pheasants and japs are just docile and dont do anything at all. Pigeons you just need to clean up after as they can probably pass on diesease in their poop, but I haven't had anything get sick before. Plenty of perching is required so it doesn't feel overcrowded at all.

Back
Top Bottom