What plants should I plant in my chicken coop?

Farming Frenzy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Kerikeri New Zealand
I have a big coop, but it's really bare.I'd like to plant some trees or grass in it so the chickens can scratch along.Their previous home was really small but really grassy, whiwh was good to wind worms, and now they scratch in dirt :(
what plants would you reccommend? I'm thinking about planting a tree in a tyre, that would look cool.And a big patch of grass.Just don't know what type.

Top Ten Plants for Chickens
These plants are hands down my chickens' favorites
Some I make a point of purchasing and some, Mother Nature provides at no cost.

1. Nasturtiums~ an annual herb with edible foliage and flowers. They love to climb. My chickens enjoy me planting these outside the perimeter of their run.

2. Beet Greens~planted as cooler weathers crops, don't let your beet greens go to waste. My girls love to gobble these up. As I harvest the beets, I cut off their leafy tops. I toss some into the run for the girls and the rest I store in the refrigerator in a vase of water like cut flowers to save for the upcoming days.

3. Broccoli Greens~As you eat the flowers, they love to eat the leaves and tougher stems. Just be sure they have access to grit.

4. Clover~ Let this favorite grow wild throughout your lawn. It is a favorite of chickens and bees.

5. Dandelions~ Around here these grow from early Spring to late Fall. Try digging them up roots and all and tossing them into the run with your flock. They will love you for it!

6. Carrot Greens~ My girls love to eat the greens from the carrots that I pull from the ground. I treat extras in the same manner as the beet greens.

7. Greens-Mustard Greens, Kale, Cabbage, Chard~ Chickens love these vitamin packed greens. Try planting some mustard greens, kale, chard and lettuce in a planter just for your girls.

8. Grass &Chickweed~If you do not chemically treat your grass, try tossing in some of the clippings after you mow the lawn. Better yet, let the chickens help you mow the lawn by free-ranging with supervision.

9. Berries-Strawberries, blueberries, Blackberries~Chickens go crazy for berries. All these berries too can be planted in containers. Always plant more than you think. Fresh berries are sometimes so hard to share with our feathered friends when they taste so refreshing on a hot Summer day.
10. Sunflowers~Plant some beautiful sunflowers. Harvest the flowers in late Summer and then dry the flowers and seeds. Store them away for a sweet high protein treat perfect for blustery Winter days.

I have an enclosed run with weld mesh as a sturdy front wall. We wanted some extra shade, fruit we could eat and foliage we could give the chickens.

Came down to grapes or passion fruit for us. We went for passionfruit, we got non grafted vines, one black and one yellow. Been keeping an eye on training it to the mesh.

The last flock we had loved the leaves, we had to make a cage around it to get them to take off, but we had a dose of illness, so the cages are gone and the vines have stretched out.

Our run has undergone some changes but this is when I first planted the vines. The left is the black, and is now to the roof and spreading along. The right is the yellow which has grown in more of a fan shape.

They had some trouble taking off and the chickens would find ways to eat the new growth, but since they have had a break they have taken off.

Just think protection, because it is most likely going to need guards until it is established. We assume we will have a 'clean picked' line where the birds can reach. We don't mind as it will be good for airflow and sun light.

that's really neat. I'm going to plant some chickweed or clover ( my dad's a beekeeper so this is good ) all around the coop and in the middle a big tyre with an apple tree in it.Also some vines growing on the mesh? possibly.I'll see what I can find.We live in the country side so there's plenty of grass and trees I can take out of the ground and re-plant again. thanks

Saves the root.

Back
Top Bottom