What poultry can't be together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 9farmgirl9, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Ok so i no peas aren't suppose to be with chickens because of disease but what about quail, pheasant, ducks, geese, turkeys......ect....... All i want to no is can they all be together with out disease spreading? I no chickens carry alot of diseases that are spread to other poultry, but my chikens have been wormed for black head and all sorts of stuff. No i don't have turkies or geese or quail but i want to get them. And id like to no the risk before i get them.

2. Bluegrass

Bluegrass New Egg

Jun 30, 2011
    I know turkeys are prone to catching diseases from chickens.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have had chickens, ducks, guineas, turkeys, peafowl, pigeons, pheasants and quail all together.. never had a problem..

the way I look at is this.. unless I am going to have different shoes (or the plastic booties) and a change of clothing for each and every pen.. I will be the one spreading disease between them.. now how many of us change our clothes and sanitize our hands before feeding or doing chores between all of the different pens?. i'm sure there isn't many of us (though I am sure that some people do.. just not the vast majority)

I can see it being a concern if there is a specific disease which has been found to be in your area.. but in all honesty most of us are not going to go through with the biosecurity that would be needed to keep each and every flock closed and have no cross contamination happen

4. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Quote:If this were Facebook, I would "like" the above response. I keep chickens, guineas and ducks together. In the same coop even. So don't let anyone tell you it's not possible. We've not had any issues with disease yet.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

quail REALLLLLY should be kept separate from all others b/c of their lack of resistance to coryza and other diseases that chickens ,etc are carriers of.
    it REALLY sucks to have to cull all your quail b/c of something like that. alot of folks have had no trouble then all of a sudden BAM! every last quail starts getting sick and dying . keep them separate, tend them first and use commonsense sanitation practices.

6. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Quote:If this were Facebook, I would "like" the above response. I keep chickens, guineas and ducks together. In the same coop even. So don't let anyone tell you it's not possible. We've not had any issues with disease yet.

I keep my ducks, chickens, and guineas all together, but last year my guineas got somthing and i lost alot---but that was when i first got them and now they are like resistant. But i keep my peas seprate but tey are only a month so when they are maybe 3-4months i let in with my guineas, ducks, and chickens.

7. misfitfarm

misfitfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Lorimor, Iowa
    I have chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys with a mini donkey all together and they do fine! In fact some of the baby ducks think they are chickens [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys and I keep them all together and I have never had any problems. However, as you stated, there are diseases that chickens can spread to the others. I also have peas but the peas are separated from the others. They have their own aviary. I will never allow the peas to free range with the others, mainly because I don't want them to run away and because I feel that my peas are extremely valuable as are the others.

I think that everyone's situation may be different. Some people don't allow all of their animals to free range due to the possible spread of diseases and others allow them all to free range.

You may also want to call your local state department of agriculture to see if blackhead is a problem in your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by