What poultry Jobs are out there? Do you have one? What about these?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by usschicago1, Sep 7, 2009.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I wasn't Sure where to post it, so i figured I couldnt go wrong here. I am entering High school, (never to early)to think about what i want to do in Life. Is there any jobs that involves chickens and where would I go. I would Love to be one of the people who goes to farms & tests all the animals. Can I make a living off of that? Even more than that I would Like to be a hobby farm is specialy meats and eggs (Silkie Meat and Blue eggs ext) And sell rare birds & sell eggs and started Birds and stuff. Could I Really do that? I think i would be the happiest person on earth if I could do a job like that!
    Thanks
    Mark

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Here is a job that would make you lots of $$$ if you are willing... Lots of people NEED processors to butcher chickens....[​IMG]

Quote:

3. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Hmmmm Maybe a butcher, but part time i dont think i could do it all day

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Are there and jobs out there involving Fowl that isnt KILLING them???

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Sure, you could work in a hatchery, poultry farm...oh wait. That would mean you have to give up your own birds in order to work there to decrease the chance of disease being spread to THEIR birds.

You could always work in the by-products area of Tyson where you can't even recognize chicken parts.

Cut-up, specialized products, pre-cooked products...

6. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Haha I would never see a live chicken in tyson!!!!!!!!! A hatchery would be great! I could lie about having birds (shhh dont tell) What about being a breeder for a hatchery?

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You would have to produce thousands upon thousands of eggs and compete with other breeders who are breeding the same breeds, maximize egg production, decrease food costs, electric, housing etc. in order to make an income.

Then there's the whole contractual agreement they make you sign that states you will not sell your eggs to other hatcheries without permission. You also cannot sell eggs or chicks to friends, relatives, etc.

You wouldn't be able to lie about having birds to Tyson because they will inspect your property before you begin working in their hatchery or buildings. You also sign a piece of paper that will allow them to immediately fire you and sue you for potentially causing a massive loss to the company.

You could try being a poultry vet, but again cannot have your own birds as you risk spreading disease to other flocks that you would be inspecting.

Your BEST bet if you want to keep your own birds as well as work for a poultry company would be working in one of the factories. If you know Spanish, you could quickly become a manager in the position and eventually a purchaser, seller, etc.

8. usschicago1

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    thanks rodriguezpoultry!
    very informative. I will look into hatchery jobs.
    (;
    mark

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Around here you cannot work in any position for Tyson or Pilgrim's Pride and have your own backyard birds.
    My neighbors are taking a chance coming to buy eggs from me because they are both growers for Tyson. I've been asked to leave the property of an acquaintance of DHs once it was known that I have a backyard flock because the guy grows for Tyson.
    The only reason my DH's mom got away with having a few yard birds back when the family were commercial growers is because DH's dad was the "chicken doctor" for this territory and no one else from Lane Poultry (now Tyson) came on the property.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  10. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Most "jobs" in the poultry industry are nasty jobs, and not ones you'd want to take if you like chickens. A lot of people have taken to raising backyard flocks as an alternative to the poultry industry.

I'd suggest looking into CSA's (community supported agriculture). You might be able to get started working in some capacity in this area, and perhaps move into being a supplier.

Google CSA, there's plenty of information out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by