What practical extras can I add to make a coop cute?

I put a couple big terracotta flower pots and metal buckets in the coop. The chickenchickens like to nest in them and if I need a stool I just flip one over.
I love the wallpaper idea! And the vinyl flooring option. I did decorate one coop with old home interior on a lark. It isn't practical but I enjoy it.
This is one of the inside divider walls from last Christmas. The coop is inside a secure run so the wall is a windbreak in the winter and comes down in the hot summer so that it (coop) is completely open to the run on that side.
IMG_20201123_171520_166.jpg

That is a fantastic idea!!! I love it!
:wee:ya
I just looked up on Menards which is a hardware store about 40 min from me. They have some really pretty sheet vinyl flooring! I might try covering the entire plywood wall with it!

https://www.menards.com/main/floori...144/p-11060051211920139.htm?primaryMeas=144.0

I love the artsy looking one, and its only .69c a sq foot!
Using Vinyl flooring, squares or rolls - don't rely on the glue. Good idea to nail or staple it to the plywood. I used the big squares on nest boxes for cleaning & to seal from wind. They fell off, so had to go back & staple it.

I painted the inside of my coop a warm yellowish color that hides dust really well. It's pretty much about the same color as pine shavings generated chicken dust! :lol: Also, I have the roosts far enough out from the wall that the chickens don't poop on the wall. I've never cleaned the walls and they don't get dirty. The dust only settles on horizontal surfaces, of which there aren't many. So I don't really clean the coop beyond the twice annual deep clean, when I also do some dusting.

This is what it looks like:
OnRoost.jpg

My kids drew pictures of the chickens and we hung them on the wall, that also adds to the cuteness. I also put curtains on the windows. I like them on the windows better than on the nesting boxes. That way they make the coop look more like a little house.

1615214861271.png

You can also do something cute with the nesting boxes, paint them a different color so they pop or make them look like something else. I made mine to look like a chicken face, though some people say it looks more like an owl :lol:

1615214502044.png

Another thing that adds cuteness but is also practical, is child-size gardening tools. They are convenient for a small space, because they don't have long handles that bang around the walls when you turn, and their narrow width fits between and around things. I use the push broom for my twice annual cleanings, to sweep the pine shavings up and out; I use the leaf rake to fluff up new and new-ish pine shavings; and I use the garden rake to stir the bedding around when it starts to get too heavy for the leaf rake further into the year (between deep cleans).

1615227948652.png

One thing I would suggest for the outside of your coop is to paint the door and window frames as well. A bright white would really pop with that nice lavender. Otherwise the facade looks unfinished with that bare wood.

Good luck, and post pictures when you're done cutening up your coop!

Back
Top Bottom