What predator could have done this?

I didn't realize skunks killed things. I thought they were more scavengers. Great! And yes, it has three holes dug. All under our concrete foundation for the pool area. I am so afraid it is going to weaken the structure. I have covered the exits when I drop the smoke bombs in. Thanks for your input everyone!

Diane M
Vineland, NJ

it really is worth it to invest in a game camera...... i know, i know, i thought the same thing........ until i lost my entire flock last year....... now i keep the trap set 24/7 and put the game cam out 1-2 times a week just to see who's checking out my flock...... raccoons, possums and weasels have all been sent to the happy hunting ground in the sky........... if you don't get a handle on it now you will lose more or all of your birds......... good luck, and happy hunting!!!!!!

Nite-Guard, Nite-guard, Nite-guard! Check it out! http://www.niteguard.com/

I used to have many predators and lost a lot of chickens to a fox. Since I bought nite-guard I have not had any predator problems and have not even seen any fox, racoons, skunks, or Opossoms.
This was my first winter with the nite-guard. Fresh snow falls show NO SIGNS of ANY animal paw prints (except my dog). My DH was very skeptical about the "silly red lights flashing" and didn't think they would work, but they do!
I have two, one on each opposite corner of my 12x8' chicken run. They suggest buying four of them, one for each side, but I only use two and they are doing the trick! BONUS...Nothing has gotten into my trash since the nite-guard was installed! Before nite-guard we had critters in our trash anytime we didn't close the lids. Now we can leave the trash out and nothing bothers it. For the record, I live in the Maine country. Not backwoods, but just as quiet and wildlife filled most days!
So sorry to hear of your loss.
hugs.gif

How do you set it up? Should I get a tripod too?? Can you leave it on a flat surface? Sorry for the questions, but after looking at them and reading the reviews I am def. getting one. Not only will it help me figure out what the heck is out there, but it might just be fun to have around. I live in a rural area and we have lots of critters. Thanks so much for the info!

Skunks definitely like to dig and they make surprisingly small holes for something that seems big/fat. Just like you said- hole that a cat probably couldn't get through, skunks can and very easily. I've been battling skunks digging under and trying to dig under into the chicken pens to get at the eggs. They will kill and eat anything small they find on the ground though.

Just about the only thing that really stops them is laying down chicken wire on the ground around the WHOLE pen. They keep trying and trying until they find a weak spot. Skunks that have succeeded in digging in and finding food are extremely persistent and will try for weeks and around any structure on premises if they are not trapped/disposed of.

It is funny because I smell skunk alot out near the yard. Being back in the woods though, it';s not uncommon. I thought I caught it last night, but all that was in the trap was one of my small dogs! lol That'll teach her! I just ordered my game camera so we'll soon see what's up. I really make it mad when I cover all his holes in, so I am hoping to get him digging out again. Thanks for all you help guys (and gals!) I want to get a handle on this before my chicks hatch.

The faint smell of skunk on the air could very well be from an owl. Great Horned Owls prefer skunk over any other meal. They are immune to the smell, but will get sprayed at times during the take.

How do you set it up? Should I get a tripod too?? Can you leave it on a flat surface? Sorry for the questions, but after looking at them and reading the reviews I am def. getting one. Not only will it help me figure out what the heck is out there, but it might just be fun to have around. I live in a rural area and we have lots of critters. Thanks so much for the info!

I think they are ususally scewed to a tree or post. I have never used one myself, sorry

Back
Top Bottom