What predator could have killed my chickens?

Pics

jayewallace

Chirping
Apr 14, 2016
this afternoon some time between 2:30 and 4:00 pm something ran through and managed to kill 2 of my hens and my guinea. There were not taken though. 2 of them had large bite marks, chunks missing, and one ripped open with intestines out. 2 more of my hens are missing. They were spread out with feathers everywhere and the 3 dead birds spread out between 250 feet distance. The feathers of my 2 missing hens are also everywhere. What would cause this much damage over such a distance and leave 3 of the 5 dead birds behind?? We have had chickens for 3 years and only recently (about 3 months ago) had our first attack where 2 were missing and 1 dead guinea that was scratched. But this seemed much different and more violent than that attack. So very upsetting. And I was home and didn’t hear anything!

:welcome :welcome
this afternoon some time between 2:30 and 4:00 pm something ran through and managed to kill 2 of my hens and my guinea. There were not taken though. 2 of them had large bite marks, chunks missing, and one ripped open with intestines out. 2 more of my hens are missing. They were spread out with feathers everywhere and the 3 dead birds spread out between 250 feet distance. The feathers of my 2 missing hens are also everywhere. What would cause this much damage over such a distance and leave 3 of the 5 dead birds behind?? We have had chickens for 3 years and only recently (about 3 months ago) had our first attack where 2 were missing and 1 dead guinea that was scratched. But this seemed much different and more violent than that attack. So very upsetting. And I was home and didn’t hear anything!

I will guess a domesticated K9. Dogs tend to treat chickens like feathered chew toys and sling or fling chicken fingers and nuggets all over the neighborhood.

Sounds like dogs to me, too.
So strange. We are on 7 acres...in a small neighborhood of large lots and I only know of one neighbor who has a dog but it is never out. We are surrounded by woods. I’ve seen a few raccoons on our property and an opossum but never anything else. It was just such a brutal scene and spread out over such an area. So much damage to the 3 dead birds that were left and god knows what happened to the poor 2 hens that are missing. So many feathers everywhere. I had 6 hens, a rooster and a guinea this morning and now I only have 2 hens and a rooster.

So strange. We are on 7 acres...in a small neighborhood of large lots and I only know of one neighbor who has a dog but it is never out. We are surrounded by woods. I’ve seen a few raccoons on our property and an opossum but never anything else. It was just such a brutal scene and spread out over such an area. So much damage to the 3 dead birds that were left and god knows what happened to the poor 2 hens that are missing. So many feathers everywhere. I had 6 hens, a rooster and a guinea this morning and now I only have 2 hens and a rooster.
Have you thought about foxes? We've previously had many chicken taken away by foxes.

Back
Top Bottom