What predator is this? Footprints

It most likely a raccoon. They are most active just before dawn and evening at twilight. When I suspect one or more is about,I let the dog loose for a while and s a deterrent I sprinkle human urine about outside the chicken area as well as used kitty litter, Cat urine smells like cougar and coons do not like it. Unless they are very hungry they will move on to find easier pickings.

Can somebody help me yesterday a dog came in and attacked a chicken and she got really scared. And wont eat she just wants to sleep please help.

You will probably need to "take out' the dog. Once they find your chickens, there is a very good chance it'll be back. Had a friend that lost his whole flock to a dog, his own! Didn't eat them. Pretty much just ran them to death.

Hopefully your bird will get it back together after a day or so. sometimes you have to nurse them back. Feed and water with a syringe if she starts dropping too much weight. Patience.

Thank you Islandgirl! I just caught it in the coop again. Heard the duck quacking like mad and ran outside. Saw it squeezing through my 1"x2" welded wire squares. (I have hardware cloth on the bottom 4' and welded wire on the top 3'.) It was definitely small. Any way it could be a weasel? Would a juvenile coon fit through a space that small?
The welded wire on the top couple feet of these run walls appears to 2 x 4, not 1 x 2.....not that it matters at this point really.....but that juvenile coon you caught(congrats! BTW) could certainly fit thru 2 x 4.

Curious @geowoman what you have on the top of the run?

Yup, I'm agreeing that it's a racoon. I've had what seems like more than my share of racoons getting into the henhouse, and that sure looks like racoon tracks to me. They will kill more chickens than they can eat, and leave a real mess. They can also fit into really small spaces that you wouldn't expect they could squeeze through. Once they have found your chickens, you're in for a fight. My dog (who is probably a bit too laid back) doesn't scare the racoons away. Cat urine also doesn't scare them away. I have to keep the windows closed on the coop, with a heavy latch on the door.

Last edited:
Well, well, well. Lookie what we have here....
A raccoon, no surprise there. Except that I'm very surprised that it could get through 2x4" welded wire. I have the same stuff around my run, including over the top. Are you absolutely sure it got through a 2x4 square? And not through a gap or a broken weld or a weak seam? Looking at that cage he's in, I could see he might squeeze through a two-square-high and four-square wide hole in that cage. Is that cage wire 1" by 1"? If so... I'm a bit concerned about my own use of 2x4" welded wire.

A raccoon, no surprise there. Except that I'm very surprised that it could get through 2x4" welded wire. I have the same stuff around my run, including over the top. Are you absolutely sure it got through a 2x4 square? And not through a gap or a broken weld or a weak seam? Looking at that cage he's in, I could see he might squeeze through a two-square-high and four-square wide hole in that cage. Is that cage wire 1" by 1"? If so... I'm a bit concerned about my own use of 2x4" welded wire.
You'd be surprised at how tiny a space a raccoon can squeeze through...they're determined little scumbags. Thus the reason my entire setup...coop and run, are all in 1/2" hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom