What predator is this? Footprints

Oh,no,no,no.....get the poodle a litter box or papers to pee on...my grandaughter's third grade teacher just lost her smallish dog to a coyote, we're in east central Indiana.....really just 4 days ago
old.gif
He's 11 yrs old and will NOT pee/poop indoors...I will have to keep him on a leash when he goes out at night !!
sickbyc.gif

Do you live near a water source? River, pond, etc. One thing that most folks forget about is Mink. They will hunt during the day and often only drink the blood, hence the neck wounds on your birds. Although they get pretty large, and may not be able to fit through the size of opening you are describing, it could be a younger one. I had a few raccoon attacks this year - took five birds, three of which there were no trace but the tracks and the one we caught in the live trap. The other two were completely eaten... The tracks are throwing me off though as Weasels and Mink often walk on the balls of there feet and don't leave toe marks. Get a marsh mellow trap or two... if they are raccoon you will surely catch them that way.

Do you live near a water source? River, pond, etc.  One thing that most folks forget about is Mink.  They will hunt during the day and often only drink the blood, hence the neck wounds on your birds.  Although they get pretty large, and may not be able to fit through the size of opening you are describing, it could be a younger one.  I had a few raccoon attacks this year - took five birds, three of which there were no trace but the tracks and the one we caught in the live trap.  The other two were completely eaten... The tracks are throwing me off though as Weasels and Mink often walk on the balls of there feet and don't leave toe marks.  Get a marsh mellow trap or two... if they are raccoon you will surely catch them that way.  

There is a small stream on the back of our acreage.... However, this group didn't leave bodies at all and the print I got this time is 4" long,!! Also there was a 40lb of peat moss that they have pulled w/0a problem!.

Tell you how to get rid of that coon and more predators. Take a piece of 6in. pvc and sink it in the ground about 3 or 4 ft. (auger is best). Drop some sardines or some other good bait in the bottom of pipe. Predator goes in for bait, and can't get back out. Haven't tried it yet, but my buddy swears it works.

Tell you how to get rid of that coon and more predators. Take a piece of 6in. pvc and sink it in the ground about 3 or 4 ft. (auger is best). Drop some sardines or some other good bait in the bottom of pipe. Predator goes in for bait, and can't get back out. Haven't tried it yet, but my buddy swears it works.
But then you have to pull that out and get rid of ALL of that stink!!
ep.gif

thanks for responding...I didn't mean to be a pushy pain....leash sounds pretty good...good luck
LOLOL...
lau.gif
...didn't take it that way.. I will just keep one hanging at the door. I have one of those that will extend (I think 10'). I would rather do that..I have to wait at the door anyway to let him back in! Out here in the country at 3am....who cares if I'm out there in my gown. I also have a small pistol that I keep loaded and handy for instances such as this. I will take it out with me.
duc.gif
I usually peak out the back door to see if the motion light at the coop has come one for any reason. If it were to be on in the middle of the night....I would not let him out...I would probably pick up my pistol/get in my car and go down there to see what was going on... I'm crazy that way.
ep.gif

frow.gif
Its 9;00pm and a neighbor jut knocked on our door and ask if my dh could come shoot a raccoon!
barnie.gif
They have a pony and a horse next to our property..(he and my dh are cousins)...anyway...dh's cousin had caught the raccoon eating with the pony and shoo'd him away. then before he finished feeding up, the raccoon had come right back,! Was not scared that the guy was there moving around!
somad.gif
So dh and him took my 410 and some extra shells and took that fella coon down! I was glad because he came out of the woods which go right behind our acreage.....my coops are between the woods and our house. I'm so excited because my dh who...if you remember, is not a chicken man and has not helped me with anything to do with them....well, he got the grass cut today and said before Monday was over...he and I would have the coop/run finished!! We won't have the top covered/wired but we are going to tarp it for the time being. That will give the girls shade and protection from the fly-overs!
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom