What predator is this? Footprints

I don't know if you have them there, but we have had problem with mink here in So.Dak. They are kind of like cats in the fact they can get into very small spaces.

Coons like mice can fit through the smallest of spaces. A coon can wipe out a whole flock quickly. Skunks are also predators of poultry and eggs.

I say raccoon based on tracks and behavior. I had a raccoon come after my chickens in the daytime earlier this summer. That's no the typical time for a raccoon to hunt, but they are opportunistic. We also found tracks (we left out sand after the first chicken was killed). Eventually I saw the coon climbing over the fence and coming into the chicken pen. Our chicken pen isn't as predator proof as yours. That raccoon first started hunting at 6 PM, then eventually would come at 1 PM!

Raccoon is my vote. They just have to have enough space for their skull (head) to get through and the rest of the body easily follows.

As you know, they are clever, incredibly strong and persistent, especially is they got a meal.

Glad you are taking measures to tighten up the security of your housing.

I had coon problems and rat problems till I added Muscovey ducks to the flock. They skind the coon and eat every rat on the place.

Put her in a quiet place away from all distractions for a couple of days. She will soon recover.

Back
Top Bottom