What predator is this? (graphic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by benthere-donethat, May 27, 2011.

1. benthere-donethat

benthere-donethat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Hi everyone. I lost six chicks last week - I have two Catawba Coops - something dug under the pen and took them in the night after I forgot to lock them up. I assumed it was a fox or coyote since it ate 6 chicks (about a month old) and left no trail.

Last night, I lost eight more. This time, the predator opened the latch that holds the door closed. 3 are completely missing. The other 5 are laying around the pen with their throats and stomachs torn. Sorry to be graphic: their heads are not missing, just their crops. And their entrails are strung out... I know that raccoons often take the heads, but what about stomachs?

Thanks...

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Sounds like a raccoon to me.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    If it opened the latch I say raccoon. Sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, coon or possum. Replace the latch with one a little more complicated and consider a permimeter ringed with electric fence. The coon will hit it and have Phyliss Diller hair! [​IMG]

5. Spud Chicken

Spud Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Idaho
    Coon sounds like the culprit. You may consider calling your local animal control they might let you barrow live animal traps so you can catch the culprit, and have him relocated or disposed of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by